Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Try At All Grain - Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
milesvdustin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I too did all grain for my third ever batch. I did northern brewers American wheat kit. Real easy, only two hop additions and its looking great in the better bottle. I hit 80% efficiency. This weekend I'm doing a cream ale as soon as I get a wort chiller. Good luck and stick with it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
inkman15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks everyone. Going shopping tonight for ingredients hopefully. Any suggestions for either a Brown Ale or Pale Ale recipe?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
apratsunrthd
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkman15 View Post
Thanks everyone. Going shopping tonight for ingredients hopefully. Any suggestions for either a Brown Ale or Pale Ale recipe?
If you like Ellie's Brown, I'm happy to PM you the recipe. Let me know.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #14
inkman15
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apratsunrthd View Post
If you like Ellie's Brown, I'm happy to PM you the recipe. Let me know.
Sure, that'd be great!

Old 01-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
Timboosh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

reading through the additional responses and looking at your current equipment, definitely agree on a bigger kettle to boil the entire 5G batch. I got an 11 gallon Stainless turkey fryer before I went all grain. That and a good propane burner are the two things I really REALLY wish I would have had right off the bat.

If you like DIY projects, Mash tuns are pretty easy to make, too...

Kegged - Bo's American Brown Ale (First Recipe)

Old 01-14-2011, 10:42 PM   #16
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboosh View Post
reading through the additional responses and looking at your current equipment, definitely agree on a bigger kettle to boil the entire 5G batch. I got an 11 gallon Stainless turkey fryer before I went all grain. That and a good propane burner are the two things I really REALLY wish I would have had right off the bat.

If you like DIY projects, Mash tuns are pretty easy to make, too...
If you have a 5 gallon kettle and a 10 gallon kettle, you already have a mash tun .. two to be precise.

spend the extra money you would have spent on a tun, on a chiller (something I forgot in my earlier post that isnt a necessity, but damn near close--- fortunately, they are easy as pie to throw together yourself, just search for 50 ft of copper tubing on ebay (I paid like 30 bucks).

have fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Old 01-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #17
inkman15
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Was going to pick up a bigger pot tonight but the local place was selling them for $80 at the cheapest which was more than I was looking to spend. Going to investigate other places. My 5 gallon is stainless steel, is aluminum acceptable? They seem to be cheaper.

I'll look into a wort chiller but I'd be lying if I said I understood the purpose. Haha.

Additionally, the grains I picked up today aren't really crushed. Do I need to do that? Here's a photo of what they look like:

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj227/stupidsunday/IMG_20110114_194045.jpg

Old 01-15-2011, 12:33 AM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4365 Times on 3173 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkman15 View Post
Was going to pick up a bigger pot tonight but the local place was selling them for $80 at the cheapest which was more than I was looking to spend. Going to investigate other places. My 5 gallon is stainless steel, is aluminum acceptable? They seem to be cheaper.

I'll look into a wort chiller but I'd be lying if I said I understood the purpose. Haha.

Additionally, the grains I picked up today aren't really crushed. Do I need to do that? Here's a photo of what they look like:

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj227/stupidsunday/IMG_20110114_194045.jpg
Your grains aren't crushed. You'll have to take them back and have them crushed, or grab a rolling pin and hand crush them.

A 5 gallon pot isn't big enough to boil 6.5 gallons of wort- do you have a second pot? You could do a 1/2 batch, though- you should be able to boil 3.5 gallons in a 5 gallon pot.

A wort chiller is how you chill the wort after the boil. It's very difficult to chill 5+ gallons of boiling wort just with an ice bath.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:41 AM   #19
inkman15
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Your grains aren't crushed. You'll have to take them back and have them crushed, or grab a rolling pin and hand crush them.

A 5 gallon pot isn't big enough to boil 6.5 gallons of wort- do you have a second pot? You could do a 1/2 batch, though- you should be able to boil 3.5 gallons in a 5 gallon pot.

A wort chiller is how you chill the wort after the boil. It's very difficult to chill 5+ gallons of boiling wort just with an ice bath.

Thanks for the info. Figured the grains would have to be crushed. May just do it myself rather than trek back to the store. Any idea where I can get a larger pot at an affordable price?

Wort chiller makes sense.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #20
Timboosh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check amazon for prices on turkey fryers (30+ quart). Read up on it if you want to, but Aluminum is fine & cheaper than stainless, but you need to "prep" the aluminum before use (basically boil water in it for 30 minutes or so).

Also, look at just the kettle, and look at kettle + burner combo's. My bet is that you could probably find turkey fryer kit with a propane burner for just a touch more than the kettle itself.

Kegged - Bo's American Brown Ale (First Recipe)

Quick Reply