Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Try At All Grain - Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
inkman15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default First Try At All Grain - Suggestions?

Hi All,

I recently finished my first beer which was a liquid extract wheat beer with specialty grains. It's carbonating now and I'm already itching to start another one. From everything I've read, it's obvious that all grain is where it's at but I'm not sure where I should start. Is there a recipe I should consider which is an "easy" all grain to brew? Any pointers would be great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
jer204
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

When I started all grain, I wasn't quite sure how everything was going to go. I just kinda jumped in and was winging it. So I just made a real simple pale-ale. 2-row, some crystal, some victory, and hops. (in case it didn't turn out right, I wasn't out a huge $ amount) After the first couple go arounds, you'll figure out your method, system, and timing, and you can get more adventerous.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Timboosh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first AG Batch was my 3rd batch ever. I didn't find the jump to be that difficult.

IMO - unless you're really worried about monetary investement, just pick a recipe that has a "simple" AG process (i.e. no decoctions or multi-step mashes) and go for it. The number of different grains or hops in a beer doesn't necessarily mean that the PROCESS to make that beer is more complicated.

If you "over" simplify it, from the boil forward, Extract and All Grain brewing are basically identical... So, assuming you're comfortable with the extract brewing process, what you really need to learn about is mash process.

With that, just do your homework and do your best to understand the steps you need to take be methodical. Read up on how to hit your strike and sparge temps and volumes (that was the part I learned after my 1st AG batch) such that you hit the proper mash temps and get the amount of wort you're looking for.

Once you're comfortable with those numbers. Make a list of your processes for your brewday, step by every little step. Run through the list a few times in your head to make sure it makes sense to you and dive in.

Kegged - Bo's American Brown Ale (First Recipe)

Old 01-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
inkman15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the suggestions/advice guys. One thing I didn't realize is that I may need additional equipment. Right now I have:

- 5 Gallon Brew Kettle
- 6.5 Gallon Fermenter Bucket
- Bottling Bucket
- Syphon/Racking Cane
- Steeping bags
- Utensils etc

What am I missing for All Grain?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thats what I had prior to the switch, and all I bought was a 10 G kettle (for full boils), a propane burner (stove may not support weight, or boil 8 G preboil vol...plus, something nice about being outside), and a large strainer bag (24x24 is good so you can mash in your 5 gal kettle, or your 10 gal kettle--for bigger grain bills). You can do up to ~13# grain bill in a 5 gal kettle using a 1.1 mash thickness.

thats all you really need, and just do deathbrewer's method (search "deathbrewer stovetop all grain method").

its more work when you dont have a dedicated mash tun, but it works the same.

I did an extract batch for my first, AG for my second... loved it (mash in smells sooo good).

good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Old 01-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
joeunc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You may want to look at DeathBrewer's all grain stovetop method then you would only need one more pot.

-Otherwise, you are going to need a much larger pot (in the 8 to 10 gallon range) and a way to do full boils (propane burner) and you want to look at a wort chiller in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkman15 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions/advice guys. One thing I didn't realize is that I may need additional equipment. Right now I have:

- 5 Gallon Brew Kettle
- 6.5 Gallon Fermenter Bucket
- Bottling Bucket
- Syphon/Racking Cane
- Steeping bags
- Utensils etc

What am I missing for All Grain?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeunc
You may want to look at DeathBrewer's all grain stovetop method then you would only need one more pot.

-Otherwise, you are going to need a much larger pot (in the 8 to 10 gallon range) and a way to do full boils (propane burner) and you want to look at a wort chiller in the future.
That's what I was going to post. I'll be trying DB's technique in a few days myself.
murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Another item you may want to get is a mash tun. I ended up getting a turkey fryer with a 8 gallon aluminum pot and propane burner from Menards. Its a nice cheap way to get started

I'm going to do my first AG next weekend. One thing I would suggest is do your research and figure out your steps before diving in. Write them down and know why your are going to do them that way.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
apratsunrthd
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I saw a lot of people suggesting a SMaSH for the first all-grain batch but I actually made the recipe for Ellie's Brown Ale that Avery Brewing sent me. I'll let you know how it turns out in about a month.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
breez7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Once you think something is sanitized, sanitize it again. best advice someone ever gave me.

Quick Reply