New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First True All-Grain Tastes Like a Watery Disaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 10:37 PM   #11
Jamming
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Newbie also but couldn't milling adversely effect the OG and final problems of weak wort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #12
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Finer milling will improve efficiency. Lots of factors can affect your gravity numbers, everything from mash pH to the geometry of the mash tun's manifold/false bottom. But if you end up with gallons of extra wort and a low starting gravity, the issue at hand is dilluted wort from too much sparge water.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 11-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #13
morticaixavier
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts

Yes the cruch can have a big effect on extraction but I think in this situation the answer is as stated above just way too much water. I second the idea of aiming for smaller batches until you have the boil kettle big enough to boil 6.5 gallons of wort. also 2.5 gallons preboil will only be about 1.5-2 gallons post so you would need more like 3-3.5 gallons preboil if you are topping up with 2.5 gallons water for a 5 gallon batch. I think your best bet for 5 gallon partial boils is no sparge. set your efficiency in beersmith to aroun 60% to start calc your recipe for target pre top off volume and gravity. so when building the recipe build it for a 2.5 gallon batch at 1.080 for a 5 gallon batch of 1.040. Don't throw the left over wort away. you can freeze or preasure can it for starters later.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #14
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1667 Times on 1211 Posts
Likes Given: 943

OP, I just realized you wanted a concentrated wort to dilute later. How big is your mash tun? You will need a large tun in order to mash enough grains to accomplish this. It's really not recommended, but it is feasible.

If your tun is large enough, you have to get your water amounts in line. There is a limit on how little water you can use. You may have to do a single sparge to prevent having too much water, which means more grain to compensate for the loss of efficiency, and therefore a larger tun to hold the extra grain.

The best thing is to stick with PM, IMO, while looking for equipment upgrades, like larger kettles, MLT, burner, etc.

Quick Reply