Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   First timer, do I need a secondary fermenter? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/first-timer-do-i-need-secondary-fermenter-381428/)

stigs007 01-14-2013 05:36 PM

First timer, do I need a secondary fermenter?
 
My dad got a Brewers Best kit but has been putting off making a 2nd batch of beer, so he's letting me borrow it to give it a try. He forgot the carboy though, so my question is, can I do this with only one fermenter, the bucket?

twistr25 01-14-2013 05:41 PM

Absolutely!

axivanax 01-14-2013 05:41 PM

Yep you're fine, ferment the beer for approximately 2 weeks if you don't have a hydrometer to check when the fermentation is done and then bottle it.I've done like 7 beers now without secondary fermenter and no bad batch yet.

Brew on!

yaaybeer 01-14-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stigs007
My dad got a Brewers Best kit but has been putting off making a 2nd batch of beer, so he's letting me borrow it to give it a try. He forgot the carboy though, so my question is, can I do this with only one fermenter, the bucket?

Not sure am new but I think you could do a starter in the 1st fermenter then secondary in bottles ( I think). I'm sure someone will correct me but at least it's s starting point. Best of luck with it

twistr25 01-14-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yaaybeer (Post 4784163)
Not sure am new but I think you could do a starter in the 1st fermenter then secondary in bottles ( I think). I'm sure someone will correct me but at least it's s starting point. Best of luck with it

Secondary is typically used for dry hopping or other flavoring additions and occasionally long term conditioning. Bottle time is more conditioning and carbonation.

So, if you plan to dry hop or add additional flavors, you can't really "secondary" in bottles.

stigs007 01-14-2013 06:08 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the responses. My dad lives about 1 1/2 hours away so I wasn't very enthused about waiting, now I can hopefully start this weekend.

unionrdr 01-14-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twistr25 (Post 4784184)
Secondary is typically used for dry hopping or other flavoring additions and occasionally long term conditioning. Bottle time is more conditioning and carbonation.

So, if you plan to dry hop or add additional flavors, you can't really "secondary" in bottles.

Not quite true. What most here call "secondary" is really a "bright tank" most of the time. Since the beer going into bottles must be primed with sugar,it is indeed secondary fermentation in the bottles in what is called a "1 teir" system. That being a fermenter & bottling bucket. I saw that on a podcast thing posted on youtube from them bigshots y'all venerate on here.

twistr25 01-14-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unionrdr (Post 4784295)
Not quite true. What most here call "secondary" is really a "bright tank" most of the time. Since the beer going into bottles must be primed with sugar,it is indeed secondary fermentation in the bottles in what is called a "1 teir" system. That being a fermenter & bottling bucket. I saw that on a podcast thing posted on youtube from them bigshots y'all venerate on here.

Touchee, I should have modified or explained the terminology in my post better as well.

unionrdr 01-14-2013 07:55 PM

I think it's just that a lot of folks don't think of priming/carbonating in the bottles as another fermentation,or secondary fermentation.

HopHeadGrady 01-14-2013 08:10 PM

/\ Agreed. I rarely secondary unless I am making an IPA and dry hopping and aging for a while. I usually go right from primary to keg to glass to belly fermentor...


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:10 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.