Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Timee Brew Experience

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2006, 05:21 PM   #21
MNBugeater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Dry Hopping...

I ordered some ingredient for my next batch that I am going to do next week. Due to the quanity the hops come in, I will have 1/2 oz of extra Hallertaur whole leaf.

I originally thought I wouldnt be able to dry hop my this first batch of IPA, but now that i have some extra hops available my question is...

1) Is 1/2 oz enough to dry hop with ?
2) Are Hallertaur hops suitable for IPA dry-hopping ?

If this was your only option, would you dry-hop with the Hallertaur (1/2 oz) or not at all? Thanks

MNBugeater

Last edited by MNBugeater; 01-19-2006 at 08:16 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2006, 05:47 PM   #22
cgravier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default hop at your own risk

go for it! you only live once...although hallertauer are considered a lager hop, there is nothing written in stone that says you cant use them in an ale. they are considered one of the best german hops in the history of the world...

another option is to put them in your pillow, and supposedly youll have weird dreams at night.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #23
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgravier
go for it! you only live once...although hallertauer are considered a lager hop, there is nothing written in stone that says you cant use them in an ale. they are considered one of the best german hops in the history of the world...

another option is to put them in your pillow, and supposedly youll have weird dreams at night.
Does that go the same for rolling and smo........nevermind...

Old 01-22-2006, 04:55 PM   #24
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Status Update

Racked to Secondary today (01/22/06). 8 days in Primary.

I mentioned earlier that I was going to dry hop this, but I couldnt get any leaf hops in time.

Racking today went well. The secondary is now sitting in a cool room at about 62F.

Just one observation and question, and Ill preface it by saying I know there is a gentlemen on this board that is quite respected and posts often that says "Throw out the hydrometer..." and I wanted to state that I am not putting much stock in my hydrometer readings at this point other than for checks and balances...

So my OG was 1.045 and the FG this morning was 1.013 giving an est ABW of 3.36 and a ABV of approximately 4.2%.

Both the FG and the ABV are lower than the kit estimated, HOWEVER, I do know that I didnt take readings at the optimum 60F, so im not too concerned. I'm sure its close enough and will be fine. No worries

My question is, how much additional alcohol is produced during secondary fermentation if any?

My observation of the fermented wort was:

Great Aroma
A little Bitter
A little sweet
A little "yeasty" in flavor
Flat (obviously)

Not that I am experienced in the known "funky" flavors yet, but I didnt taste anything that I didnt expect. I imagine the bitterness, sweetness will mellow out while conditioning. Is there an explanation for the yeasty flavor other than the obvious ?

I expect to leave in secondary for 2 weeks and then bottle, wait for 3 weeks and then drink.
Thanks

MNBugeater

Old 01-22-2006, 05:15 PM   #25
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgravier
...although hallertauer are considered a lager hop, there is nothing written in stone that says you cant use them in an ale. they are considered one of the best german hops in the history of the world...

Where did you read Hallertaus are for lagers? I know you can use them in lagers (the borders get shadier every day), but not as the main hop. Hallertaus are used mainly in German Hefe Weizens, which are ales.

I've been drinking HWs since I lived in Germany (1975). All I've known them to use are Hallertau (region between Ingolstadt and Munchen), Spalt (southwest of Nurnberg), and Tettnang (down at the south east section of Lake Constance). I've been to the hop fields in all those areas, including Saaz farms in the Czech Republic, but if you know something I don't, I am willing to learn.

As for IPAs, originally British, I would use a British hop and not a German one.

Use fresh hops for your Hop Pillow, not pellets. You'll end up with hop oil soaking into the pillow case and sheets. (Not that I know this from experience. It's just a logical deduction).

If you boil hops in water alone your house will smell like pot. This I do know from experience.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:38 AM   #26
Speedie

Recipes 

Question about aerating the wort ... what affect will it have on the beer if you do NOT aerate before adding yeast?

Reason I ask is that I pulled a blunder and did not do what I would call an adaquate job aerating my current batch.

Just wondering what I should be looking for in flavor? fermenation? body?

Secondary 2 - Empty
Secondary 3 - Empty
Bottled - Indian Pale Ale, Charlie Brown Ale, Brass Ale (Bass Ale Clone), Newcastle Brown Ale, Cream Stout and Java Stout
Next up = don't know ....yet!!!

I truly enjoy the fruits of my labor!!!!!

www.stevemolander.com for more on Beer and Bikes

Quick Reply