Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Timee Brew Experience

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2006, 05:19 PM   #11
Truble
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It's only Tuesday- You might be able to get some hops for dry hopping delivered in time. The first time I dry-hopped, I added them after the beer had been in the secondary for a couple days. Still came out great.

Primary: Octoberfest
mini 1G Primary: nichts
Secondary #1: #97 Pale Ale
Secondary #2 nichts
Bottled/Conditioning: nichts

Fully ConditionedDrinking: nichts
All Gone!:
Everything

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2006, 06:28 PM   #12
cgravier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default hop to it

i wouldnt worry about dry hopping then if its that much trouble. you will still have a great beer when your done. in the future a good way i think to get a decent hop aroma without the hassle of dry hopping is to add an ounce or so of plug/whole hops after you turn the boiler off. (0 min boil). if you turn the boil off, add the hops and quickly cover the pot, all that good oily, smelly hopstuff will end up in your beer. i do this with all my ales, regardles if im dry hopping or not. they tell you to add hops 5-15 minutes from the end of boil, but for me you lose way too much good stuff to evaporation that way.

p.s. i cant believe you live in a world where this is not a homebrew supply shop!

Old 01-17-2006, 08:21 PM   #13
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

I just recenlty tried siphoning my cooled wort from the kettle to the pimary and it leaves most, if not all, the break and hops behind. When I rack from the primary to the secondary there should be less sediment.

Iwas also uisng an inline air infuser for aeration. (tube with hole in it..lets air in through venturi effect)

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Old 01-18-2006, 02:46 PM   #14
cgravier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default paranoia beer destroyer

i used to "whirlpool" my beer by stirring it with a sanatized spoon, and then rack it off the trub, which works pretty well. then i got a few infected batches and i couldnt figure out the problem, so i stopped touching the wort at all after i turned the boiler off, i didnt even take a gravity reading i was so paranoid!
i never did figure out what i was doing wrong but that was a few years ago and in a different city, now, even though i think its a good idea to whirlpool, i still dont touch the wort, but i do take gravity readings.
i havnt had an infected batch since, but i think its more due to the fact that i only use glass for fermentation, and i always use a starter.there are so many variables though, so i try to minimize the risks by controlling the ones i can (i.e. not touching the wort). i do hate the sight of all that nasty trub though! but, according to Papazian, in theory trub affects fermentation, but the afffects are small and not much to worry about for homebrewers.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #15
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Those little funnels with screens work fine, IF you have a big screen in the kettle or you put your hops and grains in bags. Don't for beans with free-range hops!

Dry hopping can happen any time in the secondary. If you don't have the hops when you rack, just leave the ale in the secondary a little longer.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 01-18-2006 at 03:10 PM.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #16
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Status report and question

My brew looks good, it really cleared up in the last 24 hours. I noticed all the Krausen is gone, now just a thin spotted film on top.

The bubbling has virualy stopped, My wife says she saw it bubble once yesterday, but I have yet to see it in the last 24 hours or so and i stood there and watched for 90-120 seconds at a time and nothing...

I have read both that you should let the first fermentation go about 7 days and that you should move to 2nd fermenter once the bubbling stops to less than every 90 seconds. I am certainly patient enough to wait to move to secondary, in fact I was planning on do this on Friday after work or Saturday morning which would put it the 6-7 days.

My concern is that ive read if the yeast has completed its fermentation it will start consuming it self and you could get "funky" flavors. Am I to be concerned if I dont move to secondary at this point and wait until day 6 or 7 ?

Move it or leave it ?? Thanks

MNBugeater

Old 01-18-2006, 04:01 PM   #17
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBugeater
My concern is that ive read if the yeast has completed its fermentation it will start consuming it self and you could get "funky" flavors. Am I to be concerned if I dont move to secondary at this point and wait until day 6 or 7 ?
Autolysis (yeast cannibalism) is not a problem after just 7 days...in fact it's not likely to be a problem for at least 4-5 weeks.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 01-18-2006, 05:59 PM   #18
KopyKat

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bought one of those strainers at Walmart and figured on using a large grain bag inside of it to provide a finer strain but the idea of putting it in the funnel as a second strainer may work better.

Primary: Belgian Blonde (for cask)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Up Next: Christmas Ale, SNPA, Simcoe IPA

AustinZealots.com
Home of the Austin Zealot's Inquisition

Old 01-18-2006, 06:05 PM   #19
cgravier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default you get what you pay for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler 13
I bought one of those strainers at Walmart and figured on using a large grain bag inside of it to provide a finer strain but the idea of putting it in the funnel as a second strainer may work better.
the only problem ive had with the walmart strainers is that the handle fell off after the 3rd or 4th batch, but they are cheap so i bout 2 more.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:37 PM   #20
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

You can buy a Paint strainer bag from anywhere that sells house paint. Just soak it in sanitisor (and rinse) or boil it first.

I had been meaning to pick some up but seem to keep forgetting to get some. Though now I think I'll stick to siphoning from the kettle to the primary.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Quick Reply