New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Timee Brew Experience

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2006, 10:54 PM   #1
MNBugeater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default First Timee Brew Experience

Hi All.... Great forum, great people.

I've read both brew books I have cover to cover and scoured this forum for weeks. And finally attemped my first batch yesterday. I wanted to share my experience and ask a few follow up questions.

I brewed a Brewer's Best India Pale Ale.

Steeped Grains
Added Malt syrup - Boiled
Added Hops - Boiled (and some boil over )
Added finishing hops last 5 minutes
Cooled to 78
Poured into 6.5 gallon bucket (1st question here - Filter at this point ?)
Added water to equal 5 gallons
Took OG reading (1.043)
Poured wort into Carboy (I DID filter here)
Made yeast slurry from dry
Proofed yeast
Poured slurry into carboy
Inserted stopper and Airlock

5-6 hours after stopping if was bubbling very little, this morning its bubbling good
1-2 inches of "foam" on he top of the wort. Everythings "SEEMS" likes its working

Now this afternoon all the trub that was on the bottom has rose to the top, maybe not all, but certainly most. (2nd question, Hadn't heard of this, is this correct? )

Ok, really i only had one big question during the cook. I have an 8 inch funnel that at first i used to pour the cooled wort into the 6.5 bucket (before I add more water). It wouldnt go through the screen in my funnel. All the hop pellets just turn to a paste and clogged the screen, so i removed it and poured it into the bucket, added water, and then poured it into the carboy through the screen.

Just making sure this is ok. The directions said when pouring off, leave whatever sediment was in the bottom of your pot. But there wasnt any, it all went into the bucket and MOST went into the carboy.

Thanks for all the great info here....I have found a new hobby.

MNBugeater

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2006, 11:09 PM   #2
Sasquatch

Recipes 

Sounds just fine to me. I've never had much luck straining, but everything more or less settles on the sides or bottom of the fermenter.

What you are seeing with your yeast is quite typical... you'll get a big foamy head (rocky head, in brewing terms) for a few days, then it will die down. When it dies down, siphon the beer off the sediment into a new sterile carboy and airlock it for a couple of weeks. It's as simple as that.

After pitching yeast, you must make sure to disturb the beer as little as possible so that it does not become oxygenated.

After a couple weeks in the carboy, make a priming sugar solution (something in around 1 cup of dextrose for 5 US gallons, 1 1/4 for 5 imperial.) with sugar and boiling water, and either rack the beer into another container after adding the sugar solution, or just add the sugar solution to your carboy, if there's room. Then give a gentle stir, and siphon into sanitized bottles.

It sounds like you're well on your way to success, to me.

Primary: Lager

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 01-15-2006, 11:43 PM   #3
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts

The hops will settle out effentually. Just transfer to to the secodary without picking up the trub (sludge on bottom) when it's ready..about a week.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Old 01-16-2006, 12:49 AM   #4
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the reminder on not disturbing the brew once the yeast has been pitched. I know I need to avoid any extra oxygen.

So delima ??

How do I add the priming sugar solution AND get it well integrated into the brew before bottling WITHOUT getting too much oxygen? Stir or just pour it in and it will be good ?

Old 01-16-2006, 01:00 AM   #5
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBugeater
So delima ??

How do I add the priming sugar solution AND get it well integrated into the brew before bottling WITHOUT getting too much oxygen? Stir or just pour it in and it will be good ?
Pour the priming solution into the bottom of your bottling bucket, then syphon on top of that, stirring gently as the bucket fills. Then stir gently again periodically as you fill the bottles.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 01-16-2006, 02:43 AM   #6
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts

Make sure you disolve the sugar in boiling water first.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Old 01-16-2006, 03:20 AM   #7
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Regarding your hops pellets, do you have a hops bag? If not, get one. It will keep your wort a lot cleaner. Also, if you do mini-mash recipes, you can use it to steep your grains.

Keep us posted on how your beer turns out. Welcome to a great hobby.

Old 01-17-2006, 04:41 PM   #8
cgravier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default its so easy

i dont understand homebrew shops that sell funnels with those little screens in them. as you found out the only thing those little screens will do is clog up, and ensure that by unclogging them you will contaminate your wort. what i use is a funnel with a ss strainer i got at walmart for 3 bucks. the strainer is about the same size of the funnel and has a handle, making it easy to dump out what ever clogs it up. i use some plug, or whole hops in the boil, which acts as a natural filter in the screen/funnel. i usually have to dump the spent hops only once during the transfer process.
your o.g. of 1.043 sounds low for an i.p.a. (1.050-70+ is more normal)but im assuming that is a fault of the recipe. i found that homebrew shops recipes assume your going to get 100 percent efficiency which, i dont understand , unless your using only extract. i usually get 75 percent efficiency when all-grain brewing.
you didnt say if you aerated the wort before you pitched the yeast-this is a very crucial step indeed!
i would recomend dry hopping in the secondary as well. especially if your going for an i.p.a.
good luck!

Old 01-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #9
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Ok, really i only had one big question during the cook. I have an 8 inch funnel that at first i used to pour the cooled wort into the 6.5 bucket (before I add more water). It wouldnt go through the screen in my funnel. All the hop pellets just turn to a paste and clogged the screen, so i removed it and poured it into the bucket, added water, and then poured it into the carboy through the screen.

Just making sure this is ok. The directions said when pouring off, leave whatever sediment was in the bottom of your pot. But there wasnt any, it all went into the bucket and MOST went into the carboy.
You might want to buy a hop bag (about $2) so that when your hop pellets break down they dont just mix into your wort and clog your screen. Mine is basicly just a nylon drawstring bag. I got one big enuff for my specialty grains then I rinse it out and wash it up a bit (NO SOAP) and use it later on for the hops too. I would guess a NEW & CLEAN nylon stocking would work just as well. May want to stick to like a knee high type otherwise you may find it hard to explain to your wife why you have a pair of her panty hose in your beer (and if they aren't her's who do they belong to?), and IMHO it's a waste of a pair of thigh highs

Once ya get the hops contained when ya pour your wort through the screen in your funnel you will get a bunch of "snot" on your filter that might clog it up and slow it down some. Relax it's just protien (wont really hurt anything) and you can rinse the filter out and then continue your transfer.

Sounds like you wil be fine, just may have to wait a bit longer to let everything settle out in the primary and you might want to consider using a secondary fermenter if you dont already. It will just help even more stuf settle outa your beer. Just remember when you transfer this batch to try and leave as much of the sediment behind as possible, mainly for appearance.

Last edited by Pumbaa; 01-17-2006 at 05:03 PM.

Old 01-17-2006, 05:06 PM   #10
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I did aerate the wort prior to pitching. I actually had that very same question regaring dry hopping. I have read that most IPAs are dry hopped during a second fermentation, but this was a kitt, and didnt come with any hops to dry hop with and I dont live anywhere NEAR a homebrew supply. So i will be unable to dry hop. I am expecting to move to secdonary on Friday - Sunday sometime. It started this past Saturday.

MNBugeater

Quick Reply