Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Time Yeast Starter Question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
funkyskier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default First Time Yeast Starter Question.

Ive got my first yeast starter going. 4 to 1 water to DME. Its going great in my cooler set to 52 degrees for Lagering. The starter has settled into 3 layers. Ive seen other posts about decanting or pouring off the beer before pitching. Can someone explain this. Do I pitch the entire contents of the beaker? Or do I pour off the top layer and only pitch what looks like a small yeast cake on the bottom?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You can do either and be fine. Some decant and some don't. I don't just because I don't feel like cold crashing it and waiting. Unless you are making a 2+ L starter there is no real need to decant.

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Old 08-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

After 2-3 days of growth, cold crash the starter by placing in the refrigerator overnight. This will drop the yeast out of suspension and leave you with clear wort atop a thick cake of yeast. Just before you begin brewing, remove the starter gently from the refrigerator and place on the counter. When your boiling wort has cooled to the appropriate temperature, and it is well-aerated, gently decant and discard about 90% of the clear wort in your sink, being careful to leave some behind for swirling to make a slurry with the yeast cake on the bottom. Pitch that slurry into your aerated wort.

Quick Reply