Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first time wine brew help! airlock or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
j-manAB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first time wine brew help! airlock or not?

Hi, I'm a first time wine brewer. I'm doing a cellar master kiwi mellon. I was wondering if I should use an airlock on my promary straight off? I've read that it needs fresh air during the first 7 days or so for the yeast to work properly. Any advise is welcome! Thanks in advance everyone!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4921 Times on 3569 Posts
Likes Given: 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-manAB View Post
Hi, I'm a first time wine brewer. I'm doing a cellar master kiwi mellon. I was wondering if I should use an airlock on my promary straight off? I've read that it needs fresh air during the first 7 days or so for the yeast to work properly. Any advise is welcome! Thanks in advance everyone!
Yes, most of those kits have you airlock the primary.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
kellanv
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, I would use an airlock to avoid any contamination. Most of the reason behind a more open fermentation is due to the fact that the must (wine's equiv. to wort for beer) needs to be aerated pretty heavily before pitching. I'm not familiar to the kit you are using but wine is typically less forgiving when it comes to oxygenation and nutrients.

Have fun and remember to let the wine age as long as you can possibly stand it. You would be amazed at how much it will change over the course of a year.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
AudaciousAlechemist
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Once fermentation slows, I would use an airlock

“Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest thoughts -- queerest fancies Come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today.” -Edgar Allen Poe

Quick Reply