The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Time using Whirfloc

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 03:51 AM   #1
wintermute2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default First Time using Whirfloc

This is my 4th batch of beer. I decided to make a Moktoberfest. To help clear my wort, I added 1 whirfloc tablet to a 2.5 gallon boil, 15 minutes before flameout. When I racked to my primary, I was sucking up tons of very light floc that did not settle when I waited 10 minutes between cold break and the start of racking. Looking at the bottom of my brew kettle after racking, it seems like there's alot less trub then I've seen in the past.

On a possibly relevant side note, this is the first time I've used Hopunion pellets - the last three batches I used whatever pellets came with the Brewer's Best kits - possibly a cause for the difference?

Did I screw up? Should I re-rack from the primary to get rid of all the nastiness (possible trub) that I sucked up? Should I chill and have another beer although it's almost midnight and i have to wake up at 5am?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
Spartangreen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 16

You should chill.
You can dump the entiretly of your brew kettle into your fermenter without affecting taste. Anything that was in the brew kettle will settle to the bottom of your fermenter.
On a side note...Any Brewers Best kits I've ever bought have had Hopunion Hops in them.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Whirlfloc basically just coagulates proteins...takes smaller chunks and clumps them into larger chunks. You won't particularly get more proteins setting out before you rack to primary or even during the cold break. Gravity still takes time. The whirlfloc is still working on those really fine particulates even when you are still in primary.

Just be patient with it. You might not notice a difference on brew day, but it does make an overall difference through the complete process on the final product.

I personally use nothing but whirlfloc and a 10-14 day cold crash in the keg during carb/conditioning, and end up with very clear beer.

Primary #1 - EMPTY!
Primary #2 - Cherry Wood Smoked Tart Cherry Cider
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown
Keg #1 - Blackberry Berliner Weisse
Keg #2 - Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - Berliner Weisse
Bottled - NONE!

Quick Reply