New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First time using secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default First time using secondary

My first IPA attempt (Midwest Ferocious IPA) will have been in primary for two weeks this Saturday. The recipe says to rack to secondary for dryhopping after seven to ten days. FG target is 1.112 to 1.118 and my last reading was 1.022. Should I go ahead and rack, or do I need to wait for two consecutive readings?

Has anyone brewed this kit? The first two gravity readings were very sweet and malty but the last one had great hop flavor. I can't wait to see what happens with more aroma and some carbonation.

Untappd: mtate37 - Untappd Wishlist

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
inhousebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

1.022 is pretty high for an IPA. I'd wait it out another week, try swirling your carboy a couple times a day to get that yeast back in suspension if it fell out. No splashing, just light swirling to stir up the stuff on the bottom. Should help you drop a few points. You could also try bumping up the temp if you can get it somewhere warmer, that would also help it finish up.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 10-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTate37 View Post
FG target is 1.112 to 1.118 and my last reading was 1.022. Should I go ahead and rack, or do I need to wait for two consecutive readings?
Your FG target definitely isn't 1.112 to 1.118 - I'm guessing this was your OG goal? Your FG being at 1.022 right now is probably about right if that was the case and your OG was that high (more of an IIPA?). Unless you meant 1.012 to 1.018 FG goal...

Either way, I'd do what the last poster suggested and if you've got the same reading a week from now, go ahead and rack to secondary.
"Lets say your local bar pours an American pint where 15% of the beer is missing due to headspace. Every 6.66 beers you drink you 'll have been missing 1 entire beer". 6.66 beers!. I wonder who's really responsible for the missing beers... I don't know, maybe Satan??!

Old 10-05-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 145

I don't know why, but when I used liquid malt extract, I could never get it to settle below about 1.018. So I quit using liquid and started using dried malt extract. Much more consistent performance. That doesn't help you I realize, and I'm not saying you messed up. Just sharing the grief with fermentations that don't cooperate. Did you perchance use liquid extract? This is my thesis so I need you to confirm it. This makes me feel better about myself.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessRockwell View Post
Your FG target definitely isn't 1.112 to 1.118 - I'm guessing this was your OG goal? Your FG being at 1.022 right now is probably about right if that was the case and your OG was that high (more of an IIPA?). Unless you meant 1.012 to 1.018 FG goal...
LOL...oops. That's a big typo. Seems like that would be a sticky, sweet, disgusting mess. SG target was 1.062 and FG target is between 1.012 to 1.018.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
I don't know why, but when I used liquid malt extract, I could never get it to settle below about 1.018. So I quit using liquid and started using dried malt extract. Much more consistent performance. That doesn't help you I realize, and I'm not saying you messed up. Just sharing the grief with fermentations that don't cooperate. Did you perchance use liquid extract? This is my thesis so I need you to confirm it. This makes me feel better about myself.
This is only my second batch, so unfortunately I can't confirm inconsistent performance of LME. I managed to hit the target FG of my first batch, and it looks like I'm in good shape on this one as well. This recipe called for 9.6 lbs of LME. Both containers were kept in fairly warm water while bringing my water up to temp and steeping my specialty grains, and I let them pour until they slowed to a drip. I am considering using DME or partial mash for my next batch. Having to hold a heavy container of LME over a pot while I slowly pour it in and stir at the same time is a PITA.

Do you find there is a difference in final color using DME? My first batch, a pale ale, is by no means pale in color. I didn't do a good job with the liquid addition as I had pieces of scorched extract from the bottom of the kettle floating around in the boil. There wasn't a lot but it was definitely there.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

When are you adding the LME? I've been doing late to flame out additions and have had no issues with the scorching. Adding it earlier allows it to caramelize more and can give it a deeper color. I've had deeper steeping grains than the color of my LME, but I can tell it would be even darker if I added the LME at the beginning of the boil. Obviously important to make sure you remove your boil kettle completely off the heat too.

Future: ???
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 10-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Regarding your first post - I'd definitely give it another week or so at least. IF you're going to rack to secondary (there's a lot of debate around here as to whether or not that's really worthwhile, regardless of what your kit's instructions may tell you!), you should always wait for your beer to hit FG first.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1072 Times on 781 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistr25 View Post
When are you adding the LME? I've been doing late to flame out additions and have had no issues with the scorching.
I really like this method with LME brews. I actually did the Ferocious extract beer a while ago, still have some that I'm drinking on. All of the LME went in at knockout. What I do is after the boil, remove kettle from the burner, add LME, stir and let stand for ~10 mins and cool. I've also taken to adding ~1/4 lb of corn sugar to my LME batches. Like others have stated, LME can be stubborn to ferment down to a good FG, the corn sugar helps this, it helps the beer dry out.
Also, if I do say so, the Ferocious IPA is a really good beer. Really nice hops flavor and aroma and a solid malt base to back it up. I'll definitely brew it again.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 216 Posts

As the previous poster noted, DEFINITELY take the pot off the burner (much easier with a gas stove than electric) when adding malt extract.

When I added mine, I poured the majority out, then ran my tap water until it was scalding hot and rinsed my LME bottle twice. Got every bit out! Not sure if it was a good idea or not. This was my first batch and I thought I was pretty cleaver to leave the boil volume short and count on this addition. It was like a pseudo-sparge!

Quick Reply