Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First time using Liquid Yeast - help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
Billo355
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First time using Liquid Yeast - help!

Up to this point I've used Dried Yeast. Now I'm using a recipe from William's Brewing and it came with a Liquid Yeast pouch. The instructions said to break the inner seal and allow the pouch to sit, at room temperature, for 1-7 (usually 2-3) days until it swells up - and then you must use it within 2 days.

I plan on brewing Sunday, so I broke the seal today. A few hours later - the pouch has swollen already. Am I in danger of losing my yeast before Sunday? Should I have waited? Should I refrigerate it now? Or just leave it until the weekend?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 11:24 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Leave it out, but there is a small chance of it bursting, so you should put it on a plate. If you stuck it in the fridge, you'd shock the yeast & have a slow starting fermentation.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-08-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

I had the exact same situation happen to me on my last batch, I ended up making a 1.5 liter starter when I got too paranoid about pouch bursting. When I eventually pitched the starter into my wort I ended up getting good fermentation within about 4-5 hours

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-08-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
grnich
Recipes 

I don't know where I read this, but I heard that you smack it one day for each month old the package is. For a 3 month old pack, you smack it 3 days earlier than you pitch. This worked for 6 month old package I had; smacked it 1 week early and by the time I brewed it was fully swelled. For a new pack, I'd smack it in the morning(unless you'd sooner smack it the night before )

Old 03-09-2007, 06:36 AM   #5
treehouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billo355
The instructions said to break the inner seal and allow the pouch to sit, at room temperature, for 1-7 (usually 2-3) days until it swells up - and then you must use it within 2 days.
Strange instructions. I just burst the inner seal the morning when I'm going to brew and the yeast is ready when I'm ready to pitch that afternoon. Never had a problem. If you break the seal too early (releasing the yeast nutrients), you run the risk of them using up all the nutrients and then going dorment again. 7 days is crazy. 7 hours is more like it at room temperture with unexpired yeast. I've also forgetten to smack the pack before I was ready to pitch (doh!) and pitched when I started to see slight swelling 30 minutes later. Fermentation started as per usual. No problemo. I use Wyeast.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
Rook
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used White Labs Vial yeast on my first batch. No starter. Just let it warm up for 3 hrs at room temp. Fermentation started in less than 24hrs.

I used Wyeast smack pack on my second batch. No starter. Just let it warm up for 3 hrs at room temp. Fermentation started in less than 24hrs.

I used Dry pack yeast on my third batch. No starter. Just dumped it into the wert and very gently stirred it up. Fermentation was going crazy in less than 24hrs.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
Billo355
Recipes 

That's what I get for following instructions.

I'll just cross my fingers and brew a day early.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:06 PM   #8
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnich
I don't know where I read this, but I heard that you smack it one day for each month old the package is. For a 3 month old pack, you smack it 3 days earlier than you pitch. This worked for 6 month old package I had; smacked it 1 week early and by the time I brewed it was fully swelled. For a new pack, I'd smack it in the morning(unless you'd sooner smack it the night before )
Yeah--When I first started, my LHBS guy told me the same thing. My experience is that the packs swell quite a bit more quickly than that. I usually smack them the day before,or, if they're really fresh, the morning of, the day I expect ot pitch them (usually into a starter).

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 03-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #9
Mikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnich
This used to be on the Wyeast web site and in their printed literature. I believe that it is good advice and that following this would prevent a lot of panicky my-yeast-isn't-ready posts

Quick Reply