I kept the steeping temp at or below 170, which is what the directions indicated...
Everything went smoothly, it will just take some getting used to on the new turkey fryer. Well that and the fact that it's 30 degrees out and I don't have a garage. The steam from the water made it nearly impossible for me to see when I reached a boil. Every now and again it would clear for a second and I could see it, but I mainly just relied on my thermometer to tell me the temps were at or above boiling.
I didn't account for boil off however, so I ended up with about 4.75 gallons instead of 5, and I of course ended up with a higher OG. I used all my pre-boiled water to top off the primary, but came up just short. My OG was 1.060-1.062. I think the kit said it should be 1.053 or so. Oh well, just a little bit stronger beer in the end I suppose.
Primary: Cream Ale
Bottled: Wheat, Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout, Dubbel Trouble, Extra Special Bitter, Strawberry Blonde, Oatmeal Stout
On deck: Maple Stout, Milk Stout, Black IPA
Bring the Cup to Philly