Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First time with specialty grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
mpenn35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default First time with specialty grains

I'm in the process of brewing my first beer using specialty grains. It's an extract kit (Northern Brewer ESB) and I've done a few kits in the last month or two, but this is my first with steeping of grains. The grains are currently steeping right now on the stove, and then I'll move outside to my new turkey fryer to do the boil. I'm nervous and excited, but I'm about to just RDWHAHB...

That being said, anything I should know or watch out for?

Primary: Cream Ale
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Wheat, Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout, Dubbel Trouble, Extra Special Bitter, Strawberry Blonde, Oatmeal Stout
On deck: Maple Stout, Milk Stout, Black IPA

Bring the Cup to Philly

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Piece-of-cake...there is very little difference from straight extract, keeping the steeping temp at 160 or below is the key...just think of it as making tea

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 02-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
mpenn35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I kept the steeping temp at or below 170, which is what the directions indicated...

Everything went smoothly, it will just take some getting used to on the new turkey fryer. Well that and the fact that it's 30 degrees out and I don't have a garage. The steam from the water made it nearly impossible for me to see when I reached a boil. Every now and again it would clear for a second and I could see it, but I mainly just relied on my thermometer to tell me the temps were at or above boiling.

I didn't account for boil off however, so I ended up with about 4.75 gallons instead of 5, and I of course ended up with a higher OG. I used all my pre-boiled water to top off the primary, but came up just short. My OG was 1.060-1.062. I think the kit said it should be 1.053 or so. Oh well, just a little bit stronger beer in the end I suppose.

Primary: Cream Ale
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Wheat, Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout, Dubbel Trouble, Extra Special Bitter, Strawberry Blonde, Oatmeal Stout
On deck: Maple Stout, Milk Stout, Black IPA

Bring the Cup to Philly

Quick Reply