Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First time re-using yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #11
daryk77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

After looking at the sticky at the top of this forum, maybe wait another 24 hours, ya never know, give it a little aeration since fermentation hasn't started yet, that may help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 PM   #12
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Are you fermenting in a bucket or a carboy?? If you are fermenting in a bucket, perhaps the seal for the lid is leaking. Take a gravity reading, and if the gravity hasn't changed since you first pitched, toss in some Nottingham.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 02-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #13
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso
I do not know. Sorry. I have always harvested from primary, because that's what people on here have usually said to do, and that's what the Yeast Washing sticky I read said to do. I did not know Palmer held the opposite opinion.

Diagnostically, I think the lack of yeast starter is the "correct" cause of lag here; the primary vs secondary harvesting debate, while interesting, shouldn't make a difference in this case.
I re-read because I have been harvesting form the secondary since I read the sticky and I thought maybe I had screwed up. It says you can harvest from either the primary or the secondary and that the yeast from the secondary will likely be more flocculant.

I would think washing from the primary would be much more difficult because of the large amount of trub at the bottom.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 02-13-2008, 01:00 AM   #14
Thirdeye
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer
Are you fermenting in a bucket or a carboy?? If you are fermenting in a bucket, perhaps the seal for the lid is leaking. Take a gravity reading, and if the gravity hasn't changed since you first pitched, toss in some Nottingham.
Bump.

Well I checked the gravity and it was at 1.032. OG was 1.060 (3 days ago) so it must be doing something. Its very strange. There is no airlock activity but I verified that the lid is indeed sealed. When I press down on the lid, the liquid level in the airlock moves.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:54 AM   #15
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdeye
Bump.

Well I checked the gravity and it was at 1.032. OG was 1.060 (3 days ago) so it must be doing something. Its very strange. There is no airlock activity but I verified that the lid is indeed sealed. When I press down on the lid, the liquid level in the airlock moves.

Just because the lid seems to be on tightly does not mean it is sealed. My first fermenting bucket stopped sealing correctly after just a few brews, and I still have one that doesn't. That's nothing to worry about- you may not see the airlock bubling, but the beer is still fermenting with a blanket of co2 over it. Good to hear that your beer has finally taken off.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Quick Reply