New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First time to make all grain and recipe suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
Trid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First time to make all grain and recipe suggestions

I have made one pumpkin ale extract beer and i'm now wanting to move on to an all grain recipe. I was wondering if my equipment will work for 5 gallon batches. I currently use a 20qt boil pot and have 2 6 gallon better bottles for fermentation and a bottling bucket. I also have converted a cooler to a mash tun. is there anything else i will need to have to start all graining. also if anyone has a doppelganger recipe that is all grain but isn't lager they like to share it be much appreciated.

Thanks
Mathew

Last edited by Trid; 10-07-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
frazier
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You'll need a bigger pot. Since you want to get 6.5 gallons or so out of the mash tun, you'll need something significantly bigger. Most stovetops have trouble bringing such volumes to the boil, which is why the turkey frier burners are so popular.

As for recipes, what do you like to drink? Pick your favorite ale and google around for a clone; check the recipe database here, I've found lots of great recipes that way. Look for the recipes with lots of responses saying "I brewed this and it's great!"

Oh, and welcome!

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 10-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
thelastdandy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

definitely get the turkey frier burner. you won't be able to use a stove. i've personally always had fun brewing IPA's. if you're into the hoppy taste, i'd start there. they are pretty easy. i would also get a wort chiller. you can make an immersion chiller pretty cheap. i'm sure there are instructions on here somewhere. welcome to the wonderful world of all grain. you'll get all the help you need here.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Trid
Recipes 

i live in a apartment so a turkey fryer is hard to use atm. can i split the mash in 2 pots i have a 11 qt pot as well and just split the hops and other stuff that way

Old 10-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Considering your small pot and lack of space, I would recommend doing a partial mash first. At a minumum, you will need a larger pot.

Quick Reply