Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First time kegging and overwhelmed with methods!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
kyle6286
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default First time kegging and overwhelmed with methods!

I know there's a thread on this, but I wanted to make sure I have a good understanding so I don't screw anything up. I just have a couple questions regarding kegging that I hope someone could help me with. I plan on kegging tomorrow for the first time. It's an American wheat that's been in the primary going on 1 month. One, do I transfer the beer to the corny tonight, and let it sit in the kegerator at 42 degrees overnight to help dissolve the CO2 more, or should I just transfer it tomorrow and carbonate right away? Second, I've been told the easiest way to force carb the beer is to set it at the respective pressure and let it sit for a week. In this case, a wheat asks for about 2-2.5 volumes, so 11-12 psi at 42 degrees. After a week, relieve the pressure (do I do this until I don't hear anything escaping) and then set it at serving pressure, 4-6 psi? Again, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I want to ensure I have everything correct. Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
jww9618
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can go ahead and rack the beer to the keg and hook it up to CO2 immediately. Put the keg in the kegerator at 42 degrees, set the regulator to 12 psi (depending on the volumes of CO2 you want) and don't ever change the regulator pressure. Using the set and forget method you use the same pressure to carb and serve your beer. Pull a pint in a week and check the carb level. It will take 2-3 weeks to fully carb. One more suggestion, get 10' beer lines.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

After I transfer beer to my keg, I purge the o2 then I put a 10 psi cap on it, turn off co2 and crash the keg to ~40*. 24 hrs later, I turn the co2 to 30 psi for 24 hours then turn it back down to the desired carbing pressure for another week. At that point it's ready to go. Serving pressure varies, but 4-6 psi is pretty norm.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 950 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'd ignore the last sentence in the previous post. I'm not a big fan of "serving pressure".

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jww9618 View Post
You can go ahead and rack the beer to the keg and hook it up to CO2 immediately. Put the keg in the kegerator at 42 degrees, set the regulator to 12 psi (depending on the volumes of CO2 you want) and don't ever change the regulator pressure. Using the set and forget method you use the same pressure to carb and serve your beer. Pull a pint in a week and check the carb level. It will take 2-3 weeks to fully carb. One more suggestion, get 10' beer lines.
+1 This is exactly how I do it. Rack it to the keg, set it between 9 and 12 psi depending on the style, and let it sit for 1-2 weeks then serve at the same pressure. I started with 5' lines and was getting way too much head. Switched to 10' lines and it pours great!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
kyle6286
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Great, thanks for the help guys. I think my lines might be a little more than 5 feet. If I notice a considerable amount of foam, I will go get some longer lines. And lastly, when you say let it sit for a couple weeks and then pour, I can just keep the pressure on 12 until the beer is gone?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
cook1969
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i rack into keg the night before, then put in kegerator. force carb the next morning. im sure you want to try it out since youve never kegged on before, so why wait a week? the carbonation will get better in a week, but force it so you can drink it this weekend.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
modernlifeisANDY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 14

You don't need to do anything with regard to "serving pressure," echoing what BobbyM said. Any reduction in foaming you get from dropping your PSI can be achieved through longer beer lines.

ON TAP
Klepek IPA
Coffeehouse Stout

FERMENTING
Love Weizen Davis

ON DECK
Casper Extra Pale Ale

Old 07-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6286 View Post
Great, thanks for the help guys. I think my lines might be a little more than 5 feet. If I notice a considerable amount of foam, I will go get some longer lines. And lastly, when you say let it sit for a couple weeks and then pour, I can just keep the pressure on 12 until the beer is gone?
Yes, keep the pressure the same until you are done with your keg. When you pour a glass it reduces the head space in the keg which then fills with more CO2. It will equalize itself so no need to adjust the psi as you run through the keg.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
kyle6286
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the clarification!

Quick Reply