Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First time kegging, I have some questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
Mr Bigins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First time kegging, I have some questions.

I'm using 5 gallon Pepsi kegs where on/in the keg do I want to sanatize, the top in/out connectors and the inside? Anything else, airlock?

After I connect the CO2 tank to the 2 kegs, what PSI do I want the main gage to be? What PSI do I want the 2 PCI gauges attached to the kegs to be? I'm not a big Sam Adams fan, but when one is poured from the tap, that's how I like my carbination.

After kegging and attaching the CO2 tank and open up the CO2 into the kegs, do I want to pull up on the airlock on the keg to get the dead air out? About 4.5 gallons in each keg, so if I do need to pull up on the airlock, how much?

When I go to attach the the kegs to the taps, do I want to sanatize those tubes? Same with the CO2 hoses, do I want to sanatize those?

Secondary
1. Nada
2. Nada

Keg Conditioning
1. Nada
2. Nada

On Tap
1. Whoopass Stout(my recipe)
2. Octane IPA

On Deck
1. Nada
2. Nada

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2006, 11:43 PM   #2
bikebryan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigins
I'm using 5 gallon Pepsi kegs where on/in the keg do I want to sanatize, the top in/out connectors and the inside? Anything else, airlock?

After I connect the CO2 tank to the 2 kegs, what PSI do I want the main gage to be? What PSI do I want the 2 PCI gauges attached to the kegs to be? I'm not a big Sam Adams fan, but when one is poured from the tap, that's how I like my carbination.

After kegging and attaching the CO2 tank and open up the CO2 into the kegs, do I want to pull up on the airlock on the keg to get the dead air out? About 4.5 gallons in each keg, so if I do need to pull up on the airlock, how much?

When I go to attach the the kegs to the taps, do I want to sanatize those tubes? Same with the CO2 hoses, do I want to sanatize those?
Google is your friend - do a quick google search on kegging beer and all your questions will be answered.

As for what to sanitize, I can only give you my routine. I fill my keg with five gallons of iodophor, then hook it up to CO2 and blow about a gallon out through the serving hose to sanitize the hose and tap. Then I disconnect the CO2, releive the pressure, take off the lid, put my empty fermenting bucket over it, then flip the whole thing over. This lets some sanitizer out, which sanitize the outside of the valves and top of the cornie.

I do a similiar routing for cleaning, but use PBW before repeating the process with iodophor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply