*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First time home brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
mikerock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First time home brewing

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum today and I have a question about my first time brewing. I recently got a recipe from a local beer shop which I can post if needed. My question is: when do I use priming sugar? The recipe calls for dry malts (which I have) will these create the carbonation in the beer? Sorry if this question seems elementary I am a first time brewer. Thanks for your help in advance. I can post the recipe if needed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
mpride1911
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 223

The priming sugar is what's going to provide the carbonation. You're going to mix that into the wort before you bottle it. The residual yeast in the wort is eat the priming sugar and make the carbonation. The dry malt is the bulk of your recipe and will make your alcohol and flavor.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
the_trout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 54

You will use the priming sugar when you are ready to bottle, not on your brew day.
Just set it aside for now. You wont need it for a couple weeks.

Welcome to HBT. Its like the Libary of Congress for brewing.

Unearthly IIPA
Bottles
RIS
American Black Ale
CT-A3 - Centennial Amber
Upcoming
Imperial Amber
English Bitter

the_trout on untappd

Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Hello, the Dry malts are for making the wort (beer) and the priming sugar is added after fermentation is done and right before bottling.

Mix the priming sugar in 2 cups of boiling water, let cool to 70 deg then put in the bottling bucket, then rack your beer on top of the sugar/water, then bottle.

Cheers and welcome!

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 01-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

use dry malts and hops first. Add yeast and ferment. After a couple weeks in the fermenter, when the beer is ready for bottling, THEN add the priming sugar. It is the last thing you do to the beer, immediately before bottling

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
mikerock
Recipes 

Thanks guys! I thought that is when I should use the priming sugar but wanted to be sure. It seems like there is a lot of info here. One more question if you don't mind...I have a glass carboy to put my wort in. When it's time to bottle I would put the beer in the bottling bucket that came with my kit, correct? Also is the priming sugar something I can buy at the beer shop? Thanks again this is a huge help!

Old 01-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
mpride1911
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 223

I don't have a bottling bucket so I can't say if it's better than going from the carboy or not. Though if it's the carboy that you used for primary fermentation, I would definitely transfer to the bucket first.

The priming sugar should be available at your brew store. I know all of the stores around me have an ample supply of it in various quantities to fit your needs.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerock View Post
Thanks guys! I thought that is when I should use the priming sugar but wanted to be sure. It seems like there is a lot of info here. One more question if you don't mind...I have a glass carboy to put my wort in. When it's time to bottle I would put the beer in the bottling bucket that came with my kit, correct? Also is the priming sugar something I can buy at the beer shop? Thanks again this is a huge help!
Yes, ferment in the carboy. Transfer to the bucket when it is time to bottle. Your LHBS should stock priming sugar, if is any good at all

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Seems like a good way to go, and yes, I imagine every local brew store has priming sugar(corn sugar) on the planet, or at least they should...

Old 01-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Corn sugar is what's prefered, if not dry malt extract (DME), but table sugar, brown sugar, honey, etc. can be used.

I used to use carbonation drops, but forgot to order some, and so on bottling day I had to make due with table sugar. And I've been using it ever since. It's cheap and always available, and it doesn't count towards my beer supply allowance!

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Quick Reply