Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First time Home brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
Soundwav
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First time Home brew

Well ill keep it simple...
I Have No idea what im doing, im still doing lots of reading so bear with me please!!

i normally would have the local brew house make a batch for me and id bring them my keg when its done, but since they ran into legal issues they are no longer around so ive decided to take a stab at making my own beer!

This is what i have currently have (just picked up today) i still need to get my self a hydrometer and a temp guage. Pic enclosed

if im missing anything else Please let me know!!

Any tips tricks directions anything like that please chime in

Thank you for taking the time to read

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I don't see a kettle or source of heat -- I assume you have those.

Is the Coopers a hopped extract? If not, you need some hops.

Looks like you might also be missing some hoses for siphoning/transferring your beer. You've only got one bucket -- even though you are kegging, you might want to get another 5 gal bucket.

Oh, and the most important thing -- where is the homebrew you are going to drink while making your first batch?

Primary: Amber Ale. :(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Stein beer
Planned: Saison, pale ale, brown ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Old 11-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Welcome to the forum and the obcession! (that's probably spelled wrong)

You will need a pot big enough to boil at least 3 gallons. This may be able to boil on your stove or an outside burner like a turkey frier. I assume you have hops just not in the picture? Did you get an ingredient kit or just the extracts?

What is the bag of white stuff in the middle?

I assume you will be kegging this since you apparently have kegs.

thats probably enough questions for right now....

Old 11-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
Soundwav
Recipes 

no home brew to drink while im doing this.. i know my bad!!!

Its the standard coopers kit.. add water and yeast etc... (didnt buy the full kit with the bottles and container)

i have the hose to transfer.. its sitting behind the bucket..
do i need another bucket? i have a huge pot 30q or so that i was going to use for my hot water....

one question i do have is.. do i add the entire bag of the Dme (Spray malt) and 500g of the sugar i have??

I was trying to ask the guy at the store but his boss kept pulling him away from me as a shipment came in. so i just bought the stuff and got out of the store as they didnt seem to want to help me very much

i thought i knew what i was doing until i got to the store then somehow got confused. so im back to reading!

@jtsims21
White stuff is Sugar

Old 11-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Its the standard coopers kit.. add water and yeast etc... (didnt buy the full kit with the bottles and container) no problem don't need it

do i need another bucket? not unless you want to secondary ferment or bottle

i have a huge pot 30q or so that i was going to use for my hot water....this will work perfectly

one question i do have is.. do i add the entire bag of the Dme (Spray malt) and 500g of the sugar i have?? yes everything in the kit goes in the boil except the yeast. The instructions probably tell you to keep X amount of the sugar out that is for bottling and since you wont be doing that you can throw it in with the rest

Old 11-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Soundwav
Recipes 

ok cool...
that helps.. thanks Jtsims21..
should i culture my yeast in a measuring cup before hand or directly add it to the batch when im done???

Old 11-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2253 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwav View Post
ok cool...
that helps.. thanks Jtsims21..
should i culture my yeast in a measuring cup before hand or directly add it to the batch when im done???
opinions vary, but I recommend rehydrating if you can. It will certainly work to sprinkle the yeast on top once the beer has been cooled down to 65 degrees F.

I like to rehydrate with spring water. There is a small risk of infection, but IMO it's so light as to not worth worrying about.

Otherwise, you will want to boil some water in a pan, then cool down in an ice bath before pouring into a sanitized glass and sprinkling your yeast on top. I usually put a sanitized piece of foil on the glass and after 10-15 minutes shake it a bit to integrate the yeast into the water. Do this until the yeast is completely mixed in.

BTW - Do you have any sanitizer? You WILL need it.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
tyrtruion
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was thinking with a giant bag of cocaine like he's got, he won't need a homebrew to drink while making his first batch...

Old 11-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Good start!

read how to brew, the older first version is online - www.howtobrew.com and you'll get some understanding of what's going on.

consider some kind of temperature control during the ferment process. As it's getting cooler now, see if you can find a 60F space to keep it in.

Sanitize, sanitize. Get some StarSan, or Iodophor (they're concentrates) and mix up some sanitizer to use. Everything that touches beer must be sanitized.

didn't see an answer about the hops - does the can say "pre-hopped?" if not, you must get some hops in there...

Old 11-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2253 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

Can of standard coopers malt, add water and yeast. Assume it's hopped? (well, it's a mexican cerveza, so take that for what it's worth...)

Quick Reply