New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First time filling a Growler ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 12:31 AM   #1
ohill1981
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default First time filling a Growler ...

How much space should i leave for carbonation in a half Gal Growler?... When i filled it up i left about 1.5-2 inches of head space...Definitely do not want that one to explode.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #2
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not recommended. There are several threads about this subject. grolwers are not meant to hold the pressure.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #3
garbs
Recipes 

You don't want to bottle condition/carbonate beer in a growler. From what I have gathered from previous posts, they really aren't designed to withstand that kind of pressure.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:44 AM   #4
ohill1981
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Any suggestions as to what i should do then? Just empty the growler into bottles?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
dwf137
Recipes 

is it just certain types of growlers that aren't meant to hold the pressure?

I used to live near Victory brewery in Downingtown PA and used to get growlers filled there all the time. They added CO2 to the bottles. When you opened it for the first time, you could hear the gas releasing just like any bottle. Never had mine break. It was one of the flip-top growlers, bought at the brewery...

Primary: Belgian wit
Bottle Conditioning: DFH 60min IPA
Drinking: Apfelwein

Old 01-08-2009, 01:41 AM   #6
impatient
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf137 View Post
is it just certain types of growlers that aren't meant to hold the pressure?

I used to live near Victory brewery in Downingtown PA and used to get growlers filled there all the time. They added CO2 to the bottles. When you opened it for the first time, you could hear the gas releasing just like any bottle. Never had mine break. It was one of the flip-top growlers, bought at the brewery...
If it is any consolation, I work with a guy who hands out HB once and a while in growlers. The brew is on the flat side. I don't think they are as air tight as bottling the beer with caps.

Most LHBS have used bottles for sale and you can pick a capper up for 20 bucks.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Pale Ale, IPA, Extra Pale Ale
Kegged: Hoppy Vienna Lager
Drinking: AllBitterNoFlavorTonOMunich Ale, Amber Ale, Cream of Three Crops
Soon: SA Black Lager Clone

Old 01-08-2009, 01:45 AM   #7
dwf137
Recipes 

I don't see how it would be any less air tight then a swing top bottle. They both use the same concept...

I use bottles, but just don't see how they would provide any different results as long as you provide the proper head room, and use growlers that are meant to hold pressure.

this was the growler I used at Victory:

Primary: Belgian wit
Bottle Conditioning: DFH 60min IPA
Drinking: Apfelwein

Last edited by dwf137; 01-08-2009 at 01:52 AM.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:25 AM   #8
Deuce
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

My brother-in-law conditioned his beer in this after the first batch was way to carbonated. Basically the pressure will push the seal up, letting out CO2. Also, the seals seem to crack, corrode, and absorbe off flavors. A trick he tought me is to rub them down with vasaline prior to bottling, conditioning the seals. Hope this helps, IMHO go with bottles.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:37 AM   #9
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

There is a big difference between bottle conditioning and filling from a tap. When bottle conditioning the yeast will produce the CO2 which will build up in the bottle relatively quickly compared to the speed at which it gets absorbed. Once it is absorbed then it isn't a big deal to carry it around - which is why growlers are transport vessels and are not made to hold pressure.

You will find people on here that say they have done it and didn't have bottle bombs, but for every one of them then there is at least one other person that has cleaned up glass shards. It is hit or miss when you use non pressure vessels to hold pressure. It doesn't mean that none of them will work, but it means that they were not designed with that in mind, so don't be surprised when it fails. Even if you buy 10 of the same bottles, 2 of them may work and the other 8 fail.

Regarding what the OP should do - if it were me, and I could get my hands on bottles, caps, and a bottler tomorrow I would put the growler in the fridge and/or put an airlock on it to prevent it from building up pressure. Then use your racking cane to move the beer to bottles.

If you can't and or don't want to mess with that and are willing to take a chance then I would put it in a rubbermaid container with a lid firmly on it so that the cleanup will be easier if necessary.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Quick Reply