New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first time dry hop in primary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
headbanger
Fast Loud Death
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Brew View Post
So let me see if I have this rite. When you guys are dry hoping in the primary you wait for fermentation to settle down (say a week or so) and then just toss the hops (pellets?) in the primary and let them sit in there until you are ready to bottle?
You got it. I usually primary for 14 then toss the dry hops in, then another 14 days and I'm ready to keg.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #12
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I toss pellets right into primary. Give it a few days then cold crash to drop all the hops and remaining yeast. I then siphon through a paint strainer bag. The bag filters out the hops but also helps filter trub. Use a 5 gallon bag, sanitize it, then put it over the racking can and shove it in the fermenter. If you use the 5 gallon bags you don't need a rubber band or anything because the bag will hang out of the fermenter. Shove the cane all the way to the bottom down through the trub and start the siphon. You will get a little yeast at first but it will clear fast as the bag starts to filter. Put some thing under the carboy or bucket and tip it towards the bottom of the cane. Then you can walk away from it and you will get every drop of beer out with little effort.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
brewjamin_Franklin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In the past I've dry hopped in the secondary with pellets, but I'm thinking about trying whole leaf hops instead on a beer that is just about ready. If I get whole leaf I'm concerned about getting them out of the narrow neck of the Carboy. Therefore I'm thinking I'll Toss them in the primary.

All of that leads to my actual question, I have a 7 gallon bucket I'm using with 5 gallons of beer, should I be worried about oxygenation once I crack it open to throw in hops and lose my nice safe co2 blanket?

Quick Reply