Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First time brewing, my beer came out sour.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Chaddyb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default First time brewing, my beer came out sour.

My first time brewing, with all new everything, after a week and a half in the bottles, the bee r tastes sour. It's an amber ale extract kit, with dry yeast. It spent a week in primary, a week in secondary, then to bottles. I used the one step solution that came with the kit for the primary, then star san for everything else. I saw no visual signs of anything funny, and when I bottled it the taste was good, but flat. Now after a week and a half I have an overpowering sour taste. Bottles have been sitting in my basement around 64 degrees.Do I just need more time, or is the beer infected?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I would give it a couple more weeks and taste it again, before worrying too much. Infection is always a possibility, but give it some time. It's still pretty young.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 10-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

time heals almost everything. If your curious and have some ph strips why don't you check your next bottle too.

On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 10-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Chaddyb
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah, I might try doing a ph test, dumb ?, but what should the ph be at?

Also, should I give the bottles a little shake to stir up the yeast, or just leave em be?

Last edited by Chaddyb; 10-21-2010 at 05:34 PM.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
yodalegomaster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

"Infected" how about "Perfected", I love sour beers, it might be a great sour beer.

If you want to bring your bottle to Barley Johns on NOV 6th. There will be all kinds of BJCP memebers who will be glad to taste and tell you what went wrong. You would also be able to find out about the mnbrewers.org club. I will bring a good sour beer so you know what it's suppose to taste like.

Teach a friend to brew day:
When: Sat, November 6, 10am – 2pm
Where: Barley John's, New Brighton, MN
Description 781 Old Highway 8, N. Brighton. Off 35W go west on County Road D, 1/2 mile.
651-636-4670.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts

New bottles or old bottles ?

Old 10-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddyb View Post
Yeah, I might try doing a ph test, dumb ?, but what should the ph be at?

Also, should I give the bottles a little shake to stir up the yeast, or just leave em be?
ph should be somewhere near 4.25 - 5 range I would guess. but if you are tasting sour, I am guessing you may be under 4.

I say just leave the bottles be too.
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 10-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
duffmann808
Recipes 

I had the same thing happen on my first beer, also an Amber Ale. Ive let it sit for more than 6 months and now its one of the best beers I have made. Probably dont have to let it sit that long, but if you can keep it in a dark place for a while I think you will be impressed with the outcome.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
Malintent
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What kind of hops? I find columbus (aka tomahawk) to bring an unpleasant sourness to the party... but others will surely disagree. I don't like IPAs.

Try another bottle in a week and if it is more sour, then you might have a problem. If it the same sour (or possibly less), then you're (obviously) fine.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

SOme folks, when sampling beers to soon say the same thing. What is often actually happening is not that the beer is sour, but that the co2, which isn't in solution yet, is giving the appearance of a sour taste or smell. That is often why the folks above have reported coming back to the beer in a few weeks/months it is fine.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And still needed a few months more to condition.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply