Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first time brewing! (as I type)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #11
dfarm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ok. Time for some numbers.

The recipe calls for the OG to be "approximately 1.058" mine is 1.051. Is this close enough? I'm getting ready to pitch right now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #12
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarm View Post

The recipe calls for the OG to be "approximately 1.058" mine is 1.051. Is this close enough? I'm getting ready to pitch right now.
For your first AG batch, I would say that 1.051 is A-OK for a batch that was targeted to have a gravity of 1.058. I suspect that as you get more experience, and get better at controlling mash temps, you may see your efficiency rise a little. This is likely where the "missing" 0.007 gravity points went.

It sounds like you are well on your way to making beer. Congratulations!

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

SeekingAlpha Likes This 
Old 11-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #13
jakeperks
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarm

I'd take the view that it is what it is, there's nothing you can do about it now and you're going to end up with beer. Perhaps not the one you thought, but beer nonetheless. Enjoy!

Old 11-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
dfarm
Recipes 

Thanks guys.

There was lots of activity in the airlock after about 4 hours, but its slowed down a considerable amount now. The fermenter has cooled off a bit, going from 70 to about 66 according to the stick on thermometer on the outside of the bucket.

Are these temps ok?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #15
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 343 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 236

Temps are fine, I'd say - depending on your yeast strain. Biggest thing is to prepare to be patient.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes, you can bag your hops. It may reduce the amount of flavor extracted into the beer, which you can compensate for by increasing your hop usage slightly if you want. Otherwise, if you use a bag just try to keep the hops as loose inside the bag as possible, to ensure maximum absorption. Either way, you'll be fine. Enjoy!

Old 11-28-2012, 02:48 AM   #17
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 450

It is possible the drop in temp (you said from 70 down to 66) has slowed the fermentation down. That would explain the slowing in airlock activity. This is not a bad thing. If it had stayed at 70, that would mean the internal temp could have been much higher, and you would've been risking off flavors from the yeast.

Higher fermentation temps are fine for some yeast strains/beer styles, but I don't think stout is one of them. So, if it stays around 66 throughout the fermentation, you should be in good shape.

As somebody else already said, this is the time to be patient. Definitely check out the airlock activity. Sniff it to get an idea of what your beer smells like as it ferments. If there is gunk clogging the airlock, be prepared to switch to a blow-off tube. But don't pop it open repeatedly to check on it visually. That will open you up for many more potential problems. Give it a good 2 weeks before you open it to take a gravity reading. I know you will want to do it sooner. Just wait. It'll be worth it.

Bottled - The Land of Pils and Honey, an imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans

Old 11-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpost View Post
As somebody else already said, this is the time to be patient. Definitely check out the airlock activity. Sniff it to get an idea of what your beer smells like as it ferments. If there is gunk clogging the airlock, be prepared to switch to a blow-off tube. But don't pop it open repeatedly to check on it visually. That will open you up for many more potential problems. Give it a good 2 weeks before you open it to take a gravity reading. I know you will want to do it sooner. Just wait. It'll be worth it.
+1

Go out and buy yourself a couple of sixers of good craft beer--get a mixed pack of singles if your local beer store does that kind of thing. Then each night, when you come home and you want to open the lid of the fermenter, DON'T, and reward yourself with one (and only one!) of your tasty beverages. At the end of 12 days you'll have tried a bunch of really good beer, and it will be time to check the gravity on your homebrew.

Don't worry, it gets much easier to be patient when you've got three or four batches of homebrew bottled and sitting in your pantry.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #19
dfarm
Recipes 

Lol. That's a great idea!

Why is everyone saying to be patient with a stout? Is it somehow different than brewing other beers? I'm a real noob when it comes to brewing, so I'm not trying to be a smart alec or anything, I'm just ignorant to any of the real cause and effect type stuff with beer.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:51 AM   #20
carlk47
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodm View Post
+1

Don't worry, it gets much easier to be patient when you've got three or four batches of homebrew bottled and sitting in your pantry.
I can't wait for this.. I be bottling my first brew in 2 weekends and immediately starting a 2nd batch.. I'm very eager as a newbie, but this 12 pack of Sam Adams should tid me over..(until the weekend). Looking forward to having a few different brews available to drink at one time.

Quick Reply