New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First time brewing, great way to burn your house down!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #41
Nickh08215
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Well that's kinda what I mean. Mead is easier to play with up front. So I'll be able to express some creativeness right off the bat, while getting some beer experience under my belt. After a few batches of extract kits, once I have a good system for keeping proper temps and proper sanitation techniques, as well as a good grasp on documentation of my processes and how to take the gravity and all that stuff, I'm gonna move straight into all-grain brewing, and after getting a few batches of that under my belt, start working on my own recipes.

On paper it sounds easy, but that could take months before I have all that Down to where I feel comfortable brewing my own recipies

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #42
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

btw... one thing i saw that was very intriguing was to make a full 5 gallon batch of mead, but then rack them into 5 separate one-gallon carboys for flavorings.

since mead is so much easier to make, up front, that makes a lot of sense.

and 5 gallons of mead would last me a very long time.

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Old 11-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #43
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Google "Joe's quick grape mead" and "Joe's no age mead.". There are a couple recipes that are pretty good in a month or so. They're a good way to get into the ins and outs of mead making.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #44
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Hello Again, Great learning experience, Always boil without lid, You want to leave the brew pot uncovered in order to allow dimethyl sulfides (DMS) to boil off. Don't feel bad at all, we all make mistakes, just 3 days ago I miss calculated how much water I could use for a dunk sparge on a BIAB with 13 lbs of grain, and yes 1+gal of 187 deg water all over everything including my wife and I, everyone's ok, no burns, I chalk it up to sh*t happens, we all make mistakes, learn from it, so it doesn't happen again.

And yes I have just switched over to doing All-grain BIAB.

Great atitude BTW and keep brewing, you and your brew will do just fine, if your beer dose have a hot alcohol bite, just age it for 3 to 6+ months in bottles or keg and that will help mellow it out, and yes I am speaking from experience on that too. lol

Good Luck an Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost! WileECoyote

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar! WileECoyote

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 11-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #45
Nickh08215
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Screw that! I'll deal with the extra alcohol flavor. I can't wait that long to drink my firs batch of brew ever!

And i was wondering. Is it just a strong alcohol FLAVOR that I got from the warm fermentation or is the brew itself actually more alcoholic? Because if it's more alcoholic, playing with fermentation temps is something I'm going to be really interested in messing around with

Old 11-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #46
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn
I once set my kitchen on fire trying to boil a chicken, and another time making potato pancakes.
Mmmm...... potato pancakes

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 11-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #47
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 639 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickh08215 View Post
Screw that! I'll deal with the extra alcohol flavor. I can't wait that long to drink my firs batch of brew ever!

And i was wondering. Is it just a strong alcohol FLAVOR that I got from the warm fermentation or is the brew itself actually more alcoholic? Because if it's more alcoholic, playing with fermentation temps is something I'm going to be really interested in messing around with
It's the alcohol flavor because it isn't ethanol that you are tasting when you get that "hot alcohol" flavor in beer that is fermented too warm. There are reports that this "hot alcohol" brings on the hangover headache but I haven't been able to prove that.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #48
Nickh08215
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I was under the understanding that a hangover is caused by dehydration. And damn that sucks. So I get all the bad qualities of alcohol (the hot bite and the hangover) without the good qualities. But hey. It's a learning experience

Old 11-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #49
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Fermenting at the upper end of the temp range encourages the production of methanol, but this is really only a significant problem with fruit fermentation, as the methanol is primarily a product of yeast metabolizing pectins. Grain fermentations produce very small amounts of methanol.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #50
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

Hot alcohol flavors are generally referred to as fusel alcohols. They come from high initial ferment temps. If it's not too bad/you caught it soon enough,they can be cleaned up in primary by allowing the yeast time after FG is reached to do so & settle out clear. Time in bottles can also help some. But if it's pretty bad you'll be stuck with it for the most part.

Quick Reply