Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First time brewing, great way to burn your house down!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Nickh08215
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default First time brewing, great way to burn your house down!

So, I got my Deluxe brew kit from NB, Nov19, and started to brew my carribou slobber. Wound up setting my whole stovetop on fire (first brew mistake) and giving myself a pretty intense mess to clean. Other then that everything went well. Rehydrated and Pitched my yeast at about 9pm into my wort at an unknown temp (second mistake) althought the Wort was probably cooler then it should have been, fermentation was VIGOROUS by the next morning, I was so excited and happy that I didn't even look at the temp before leaving for work (third mistake), and when I got home and checked it at 1am my fermometer was maxed out at 78 and the Carboy was warm to the touch, even with a wet towel wrapped around it since pitching. AND my airlock was clogged and full of debris (fourth mistake). I switched over to a blowoff tube, but pushed the bung to far into the neck, so now I can't get it out (yet another rookie mistake). Now I got the whole thing sitting in a water bath with a towel wrapped around it. Temp of waterbath is 66, fermometer reads between 66-68, and thermometer checked wort which now reads about 66 also.

Now for the questions.

I'm not sure but I lost concentration when mixing starsan and may have used one tsp to little. I added an extra tsp but now I'm worried maybe I didn't underdo it and now I over did it. Will one tsp either way effect sanitation?

Also, with my wort being that hot for maybe 12-16 hours, will I have a lot of off/harsh flavors? And if so will an extra week or two in secondary fix it?

Any and all comments and advice are greatly appreciated as this is my first ever brew experience, with some mead/melomel making in my near future. Thanks in advance all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2003 Times on 1754 Posts
Likes Given: 1475

It'll probably have some off flavors,but since you caught it in a decent amount of time it should age out. Just let it get down to a stable FG. Then another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then bottle it for 3-4 weeks at 70F or so. A week in the fridge is usually good to go.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Hello, it might have a hot alcohol bite to it, if so the yeast might clean that up with a bit of age, I would use a secondary for at-least 2 to 3 weeks just incase, and only bottle or keg brews after 3 days of the same FG reading, if you use the secondary the 3 day readings shouldn't be a concern after that much time, I still check mine though.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 11-22-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
Nickh08215
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for your thoughts all! I was kinda worried about it, but for my first brew I wasn't expecting TOO much, but I'm sure it'll turn out fine

Old 11-22-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I like your attitude.

Almost set fire to house.
Other than that, i think i made beer.

People Like This 
Old 11-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I was pretty impressed by that statement too.
Set the whole stovetop on fire but it went pretty well.
I think you'll be alright. None of your mistakes were horrible.
You had that many problems and you still enjoyed the process so you've probably got a long happy brewing future ahead of you.
As for the starsan, I'm not sure how much you are mixing when you were over or under buy a teaspoon but I'm sure it's fine.
I usually mix it a little strong myself.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 11-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 55

"Is your beer supposed to be on fire?"
"Yes, honey, I know what I'm doing. 'Flame on!' is the step in this recipe just before 'flame out'."

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

People Like This 
Old 11-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Krazykripple
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

i'd like to hear more about how you managed to set your stove on fire. your beer should be ok, there will probably be some fusels which don't really age out but it'll be ok. good luck for your next brew

Old 11-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
Nickh08215
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Well what happened was, I put the lid HALFWAY on my 5 gallon kettle, and I walked away for not even 2 minutes, and when I came back, the lid was all te was on and literally, the front left burners flames were like 6 inches high around the pot, with like a radiating circle of fire extending about a foot out in every direction. I pulled the kettle off and tried to blow the fire out, but that wasn't happening, so I took a towel and tried to use that to smother the fire, and it started to turn a little black, so I took it back off, and the burner was still on fire, so I wet te towel and just threw it on top and we were all good.

THEN I wanted to get the wort back up to a boil as I didn't know how stopping and starting would effect my beer. So I put the lid on but just cracked it. And sure enough not even 30 seconds later, I had another boil over and the burner was on fire again. So I decided the lid is never a good idea hahah. I mean, I guess that's the way to learn how NOT to do something is to cause a raging fire haha

Old 11-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

idk about anything else, but let us all know if you decide to try to deep fry a turkey

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

People Like This 

Quick Reply