Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First time brewing! Fermentation question. (Mr. Beer)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #1
Micheletti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First time brewing! Fermentation question. (Mr. Beer)

First, I'd like to say hello. I am new to brewing and new to this forum. I have read a lot of great things already.

I have a question. I just began brewing a West Coast Ale with my new Mr. Beer. I started it 72 hrs. ago and still haven't seen any fermentaion. No thick foamy action going on. All I see is a very very thin layer of bubbles going on, on the top of the beer. I didn't look at it for 24 hrs after I started the brewing process. Could it have fermented in 24 hrs. and I missed it? It does have condensation on the upper part of the Mr. beer keg. Help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, Jason

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 12:26 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you see a thin layer of bubbles "going on" then I'm pretty sure you have fermentation. Relax.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-29-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
speter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

What's the temperature where you're fermenting? That, to a large extent, will determine the speed of the ferment. Also, do you have a hydrometer yet? That's the only way you can tell for certain the progress of the fermentation.

Oast House Brewing

Old 12-29-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheletti View Post
First, I'd like to say hello. I am new to brewing and new to this forum. I have read a lot of great things already.

I have a question. I just began brewing a West Coast Ale with my new Mr. Beer. I started it 72 hrs. ago and still haven't seen any fermentaion. No thick foamy action going on. All I see is a very very thin layer of bubbles going on, on the top of the beer. I didn't look at it for 24 hrs after I started the brewing process. Could it have fermented in 24 hrs. and I missed it? It does have condensation on the upper part of the Mr. beer keg. Help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, Jason
welcome to hbt don't know much about the mr. beer but check this sticky
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/mr-beer-read-all-about-ask-questions-46360/
should help you out
edit - these guys are fast

Old 12-29-2010, 01:48 AM   #5
Micheletti
Recipes 

No, don't have a hydrometer. Don't know anything about them really. It is about 69 degrees were I have it

Old 12-29-2010, 01:58 AM   #6
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

you have bubbles.be glad. its going on.there is a party in there .sometimes the party is bigger than others.ha.keep it at suggested temps and it will do its thing. wait 2 weeks probably 3 before botteling and it will be good.Generally higher temps make it more active but you dont really always want higher temps, its still gotta conditon after its done and at a final gravity: This is where the confusion lies. when its done- thats good- but it needs to condition for a few weeks. Im pretty shure some of my batches were done within 3-10 days but you still dont want to bottle yet until it matures. Get a hydro if you think you will brew more in the future and use a brew calculator, it helps.Hope this helps.

Quick Reply