Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First time brewer with some questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 06:33 AM   #11
loxnar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightynintendo View Post
Yeah temp does depend on the yeast you're using. I assumed belgian blonde but if it's a light hybrid blond and you're using an american ale yeast, well that's a different story and ambient temp should be as loxnar recommends.
<3

yea if you can stay between 62-72 during the whole process there isnt an ale yeast out there that would do you wrong....finding the sweet spots for the style of beer you are aiming for as well as the type of yeast you are using is the key and you will learn eventually

general rule of thumb i think is the cleaner/clearer the beer the colder (within ale yeast parameters that is) you want your fermentation temperature to be and darker generally a little warmer...like mightynintendo used as examples a belgian blonde tends to have a little more haze or cloudiness to it than say an american blonde would which you would naturally think of as being lighter in color and less "cloudiness" if any at all......like i said this is generally true but not all the time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #12
TL00Camaross
Recipes 

Thanks everyone for all the input and advice. I can't remember the name on the packet of yeast (the whole thing came as a kit). But i remember it being a product of Austria and yellow packet, so Im guessing a Belgian yeast. Its been sitting at a constant 68 right now. Can't wait for the next batch once I get all the bugs worked out!

Old 03-18-2010, 01:09 AM   #13
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
I've definitely been there. I mean I still look at my fermenters daily and talk to them, encouraging the yeast to eat their fill and telling them just how happy they make me. Sometimes it feels like forever before it's done...
I'm glad someone else talks to their yeast.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:22 AM   #14
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Temperature stability is JUST SLIGHTLY less important than temperature itself. You want to be at a good temp, but you don't want to be at 72, then 61, then 70.

Also, I'm not sure if I caught if it was actually beer temperature or ambient temp of the room you were referring to. If the room is 61 and your beer is fermenting, then the beer itself is likely in the neighborhood of 65 or 66.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 03-18-2010, 01:53 AM   #15
steelerguy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Temperature stability is JUST SLIGHTLY less important than temperature itself. You want to be at a good temp, but you don't want to be at 72, then 61, then 70.

Also, I'm not sure if I caught if it was actually beer temperature or ambient temp of the room you were referring to. If the room is 61 and your beer is fermenting, then the beer itself is likely in the neighborhood of 65 or 66.
Some good advice!

You really don't need all of these temperature swings. Just put that beer in an area that is close to the temperature you want to ferment at and let it slowly warm back up. You certainly don't need a space heater or anything like that.

I also don't agree so much with that comment on the fermenter being a lot warmer than water in a tub. Water is really good at pulling heat away from the fermenter, I can't imagine the temperature of the beer being much more than a degree warmer than the tub water even at the height of fermentation. Maybe if the water is in a room with a high ambient temp or the fermenter isn't submerged more than a few inches. If you can control the room temp and/or water in the tub temp you will also control the fermenter temp pretty closely and also keep things stable.

You may even want to let the beer get up to 70 after 5 or 6 days of fermentation if you are looking to dry the beer out some. I'm guessing you are using Safale S-33 which may finish at a pretty high gravity if you are at 60 degrees.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:04 AM   #16
mightynintendo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I was going to say "nay" to the space heater thing but thought I'd be coming on too strong.

'Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.'

—Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

Old 03-18-2010, 02:20 AM   #17
jmansfield
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You may have produced some off flavors, but 74 F does not sounds too scary. Fermentation can produce as much as 100 BTU/hr (for 5 gallon beer). In a glass carboy or plastic ail pale or Better Bottle this will result in temperature rise of 4 - 8 F just sitting in a 70F room. However, submersed in water the heat transfer rate increases by a factor of 10 - the temperature inside the carboy will always be within 1 degree F of the temperature of the water. Bathtub trick actually worked better than Loxnar expected.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 PM   #18
TL00Camaross
Recipes 

Quote:
I was going to say "nay" to the space heater thing but thought I'd be coming on too strong.
Yeah I never placed the heater directly on it just let it circulate into the room, this is a large basement closet. The beer slowly rose back up 68/70 over a period of probably 12 hours, and has stayed constant their for two days now with the heater circulating warm air. Otherwise it would be sitting in the low 60s. I realize the large temp swing was bad, I just didnt intially think it was going to drop that low. Dumb mistake.

Last edited by TL00Camaross; 03-18-2010 at 11:43 PM.

Quick Reply