Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Time Brewer Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013, 01:58 AM   #11
DoWBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The hardest part about brewing is just leaving the beer alone during fermentation. You should be careful opening the bucket too often. You are increasing the potential for infection every time you open to check your gravity.

I would not even take a gravity reading until after 7-days. Even if your gravity is correct, depending the fermentation temps and other factors, there maybe precursors to diacetyl or other off-flavor causing chemicals that the yeast will go back and clean up after they finish the maltose. Even though it is really hard to do, you are best to give it time.

Congrats on your first beer!

Old 08-07-2013, 02:11 AM   #12
henchman24
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That was the 3rd time I had opened the fermenter over the 2.5 weeks it has been fermenting. Hopefully that isn't too much. I have my second batch starting to ferment and I don't plan on opening that for at least 3 weeks.

I didn't return the sample, I let some chill in the fridge and it seemed to me that more of a sour taste was evident, but I really don't know exactly what I am looking for. My fear is I may have caused an infection.

The plan for this beer is to let it sit for 5-10 more days and keg unless I find out I have an infection.

Thanks for the replies.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 03:01 AM   #13
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
My fear is I may have caused an infection.
Thanks for the replies.
I've had 1 infection since I started brewing a little over a year ago, and it was after my boil when I checked the wort temp. I didn't clean and sanitize the thermometer and realized it afterwards. I ended up with 5 gallons of malt vinegar and it only took about 1 week before it was obvious that it was vinegar. My subsequent batch had a very similar smell because the plastic buckets are bad about holding smells in them. I was freaking out, but as it turned out, the batch wasn't infected and after about 3 weeks it smelled and tasted better.

You will see and smell all kinds of weird things in the first few weeks and chances are by week 3-4 you'll have a completely different product than the first 2 weeks. The same goes for bottle/keg conditioning. Let it sit for as long as you can and it will continue to improve. I've found for most of my beers (except wheats and dry hopped beers) they peak around 4 months.

Congratulations on your first brew!

Old 08-07-2013, 03:23 AM   #14
CCMuggs13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodsuds

I've found for most of my beers (except wheats and dry hopped beers) they peak around 4 months.
How long would you say is best for a wheat then? I have an American Wheat that's been in primary for almost a week now and since I won't be doing a secondary I don't plan to move it too soon but about how much longer do you think is best to make sure it's done but still fresh? Or are you just saying it should be drank shortly after it is done conditioning, but still do regular conditioning time and whatnot?

Old 08-07-2013, 03:46 AM   #15
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMuggs13 View Post
How long would you say is best for a wheat then? I have an American Wheat that's been in primary for almost a week now and since I won't be doing a secondary I don't plan to move it too soon but about how much longer do you think is best to make sure it's done but still fresh? Or are you just saying it should be drank shortly after it is done conditioning, but still do regular conditioning time and whatnot?
I usually go 2-3 weeks for wheats and keep them in primary. Although on my most recent batch I didn't have time to bottle and needed one of my buckets so I racked to secondary after 2 weeks and I will bottle after 1 full week in secondary. I usually start drinking my wheat beers right at 3 weeks in the bottle (though I might sneak a few at 2 weeks if they're carbonated). I don't really notice much improvement in flavor after that.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:26 AM   #16
CCMuggs13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Alright cool sounds good. Thanks

Old 08-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #17
BlindFaith
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

The whole impatience and anxiousness feelings goes away after a while. Once you get a pipeline going you won't even be worried about when to transfer or bottle. My beers stay primary for 4-6 weeks, no secondary, cold crash a couple days for lower SRM beers, and then straight into the bottle.

I used to taste one bottle every 10 days or so, but have found out that each beer is different and some take much longer than others. Now, I just wait on all of them for at least 4 weeks before even trying one. I just bottled a Breakfast Stout that I won't crack open for at least 6 weeks. It is all a matter of the brewers preferences and if you want to drink decent beer or good to great beer.

Quick Reply