New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Time Brewer: Hops or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #21
johngaltsmotor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 21

1st things first: don't worry. Be safe and have fun. If you take it too seriously in the beginning you'll have no fun and just okay beer. Make sure you enjoy the process. That way you want to do it again to improve your technique. Inhale the hops, watch the wort boil, play in the suds while you sanitize. It's far too easy to take for granted just how great of a process brewing is.

What's the worst that can happen? You waste $40 and wind up not liking this particular batch? That's no tragedy.
Most of us at some point have gone out to a bar with friends and spent $40 on yellow fizzy water. Now that's a tragedy.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #22
jhmills1981
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Finally got all of my ingredients and hardware and brewed my first batch today. It was a ton of fun! I used 3 gallons of water, Muntons Export Pilsner Connoisseurs (3.3lbs), and Briess Pilsen Light DME 2 Lb, and an ounce of Cascade hops with an alpha acid of 8.9%. The alpha acid seemed a bit high, so I used about half for the whole 60 minute brew, and then the other half from the 40 minute mark. Then I scooped out about 3/4 oz of the hops, at the 50 minute mark, as I didn't want it to be too bitter. It looks good. Did an ice bath as suggested then poured it into the 6.5 gallon carboy and added 2 gallons of water (and the yeast of course).

Looking good so far. I don't have a hose on the carboy, just a standard airlock right now. It's been about 6 hours and all seems to be going well, the air lock is bubbling every once in a while. Not to often, but I'm kind of glad about that because I don't want a blowout. Although I think I'll be fine in the 6.5 gallon carboy.

Made a few youtube videos for my friends that were thinking about getting into homebrewing. It was a lot easier than expected. After sanitizing everything, I wasn't as excited as I had hoped (and maybe a bit nervous), about boiling my wort. I figured taking half an hour to get the water boiling, then another hour for the actual boil might be boring. It definitely wasn't. Playing with the ingredients, smelling and feeling them, especially the hops, was a great experience and I had a lot of fun! I did get a very slight burn on the bottom, but nothing I'm to worried about. The electric stove I was using was not really made for 5 gallon stock pots. The burn was only right where the range touched the pot and was very light.

Thank you all for all of your help, and I will let you know how it turned out in about 3 weeks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #23
Enoch52
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You owe us an update! By now I assume you've gone from bottling to tasting?

Bottled: NB Irish Red; 1-gallon SMaSH IPA's: Citra, Cascade, Simcoe, Falconer's Flight and Mosaic; Bavarian Hefeweisen; Centennial Blonde; EdWort's apfelwein
Conditioning:
Primary: Mosaic IPA
On Deck: Cherry Melomel
Gone But Not Forgotten: Blue Schoon (Blue Moon clone)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply