Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Time Brewer: Hops or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
jhmills1981
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default First Time Brewer: Hops or not?

Second post here (after introduction post). I have all my equipment ready, and the ingredients for my first brew should be here on Monday. Just had a few quick questions.

I will be making 5-gallons of a pilsner using Muntons Export Pilsner Connoisseurs (3.3lbs), and Briess Pilsen Light DME 2 Lb. I have my trust "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" and am starting with their beginner recipe since I thought it would be best to do a simple, successful recipe to get some confidence under my belt.

I will be placing those ingredients in 1.5 gallons of boiling water for 45 minutes and then following the "standard" procedures for fermenting and such. Does that recipe seem to be ok?

Also, I picked up an ounce of Cascade Leaf Hops and was thinking about seeping them. Being my first time, how much time should I steep them at the end of the brew for a mild bitterness? Or should I not use them at all?

Thank you in advance for the help. It's great to have such a great forum.

Sincerely,
Johnny Mills

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 199

I vote for hops Someone will tune in soon on as to how much.... Good luck broham.....

Old 02-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
KeystoneHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You're going to get a good beer making it by the book. But for some mild bitterness, I'd take about a quarter of your cascade and add it at the beginning of the boil. Since you've got it, I'd split the remaining 3/4 into two piles, and add one each the last 10 minutes and last minute of the boil. Get yourself a nice Pale Ale out of the mix!

Got a Question? Always happy to help. Just shoot me a message.

jhmills1981 Likes This 
Old 02-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
jhmills1981
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds great! I think I'll try that. REALLY looking forward to it. Thank you both for the comments. I'll let you know how it turns out. Cheers!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #5
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

I have to ask, not having read the book (well, maybe a long time ago), but are you doing a lager yeast? When one says Pilsner, that means doing a lager yeast, and lagering is more complicated because of temperature control.

You can brew anything with ale yeast, such as US-05, which ferments well at 60-72 degrees (keep on the cooler end!). It won't taste the same exactly, but it'll be close and the temperature is easier to manage.

Follow KeystoneHomebrew's suggest for the hops for now. Can I assume the Munton's extract is already hopped? (Sorry, been a while since I've used them)

For 1.5 gallons, however, the amount of malt extract (liquid and dry) is too much. Does the procedure have you mix it with more cold water(boiled and then cooled) before fermenting? If not, it's not going to be right, IMHO.

Try my 1st Place Wedding Pale Ale!

jhmills1981 Likes This 
Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #6
jhmills1981
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well don't I look like an idiot. ha. I know nothing about pilsners. I am new to the world of "good" beer. Still figuring out the difference in types of beer. Lagers versus Ales, etc. And I was going to use an ale yeast. I'm not trying to make the best beer in the world, just trying to make my first.

The Muntons Export Pilsner Connoisseurs is already hopped. And yes, I would be mixing it with 3 gallons of cold water in my carboy.

Thanks for the advice. I know I have A LOT to learn.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
jhmills1981
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any chance an ale yeast won't work with a Pilsner LME?

Old 02-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
KeystoneHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The yeast included in that kit (I've made it several times) is in fact an ale yeast. That seems kinda weird, but they know a new brewer isn't going to have a dedicated fridge to ferment a lager in.

The procedure how you have it is fine. You can stuff about 7 pounds of extract into 1.5 gallons of hot water, so you're well under that.

Got a Question? Always happy to help. Just shoot me a message.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
Hogarthe
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmills1981 View Post
Any chance an ale yeast won't work with a Pilsner LME?
it will work just fine. pilsner malt is called that because it was originally made in Pilsn. it was used for making pilsner style beer, but it can be used in any beer.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
HeadyKilowatt
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Yeast is yeast, and sugar is sugar. Any yeast will eat any simple sugar. Ale yeast will happily munch on Pilsner LME. With reference to LME, the word "Pilsner" just means it's light-colored. Go for it with some US-05 (or whatever comes with the kit) and get a nice pale/blonde ale.

Quick Reply