The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Time Brewer- Broke the air lock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
BrewMaster828
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Time Brewer- Broke the air lock

Hi everyone. Today while I was brewing my first Brewers Best Brew I broke the airlock. What is everyones advice on continuing the process until I get a replacement. I used a tube to a water seal which will keep it air tight while allowing the CO2 to release into the water. Is this fine?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMaster828 View Post
Hi everyone. Today while I was brewing my first Brewers Best Brew I broke the airlock. What is everyones advice on continuing the process until I get a replacement. I used a tube to a water seal which will keep it air tight while allowing the CO2 to release into the water. Is this fine?
Yup, that's fine, what you rigged up was what we call a blowoff tube. I would put sanitizer or vodka in the water though.

Many folks ALWAYS use those instead of airlocks as insurance against overactive fermentation.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply