First time Brewer......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluekowboy

Reaction score
hey yall my name is Aaron and im a first time brewer and from the sounds of it Mr. Beer is a great beginners kit.... so should i get the Gold Premium or is there a different one i should go with? im also reading the Extreme Brewers book as well and wanted to do one batch regular and then experiment a bit as i have some ideas.......
any advice would be helpful.....

You'd be doing the same amount of work,& spending the same amount of time on a MR beer as you would a regular size brewing kit. Plus,this way,you get 2 cases at a time!

Another good read is BEER BREWING FOR DUMMIES. I read both this one and John Palmer's book, and found this one to be a faster read, more up-to-date, and more useful.

I'd also skip the Mr. Beer and go straight to buckets and 5 gallon extract kits. You'll have an easier time making better beer and really get the process down to move into full grain if you get addicted.

I did a Mr. Beer kit in the early 2000s and my beer came out crappy so I thought brewing was just difficult and I wasn't cut out. I did my first batch in December on start equipment and it came out great. 14 good batches later, I did my first advanced all-grain last weekend and expect it to be my best to date.

I'm addicted.

I agree with what everyone else is saying. Personally, I started with a Mr. Beer kit and brewed four batches before moving to a five gallon extract batches. After several of those, I am now doing all grain batches using the BIAB (brew in a bag) method. The beer you make with Mr. Beer will be drinkable, but I feel like I wasted some time and money on Mr. Beer when I could have been doing bigger and better things.

- Jeff

Back