First time brew question ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muntzster

Reaction score
My room is 85 F is that too hot to keep the beer in the keg while it is fermenting?

Yes. Try placing the fermenter in a container (bucket, oil changing pan, tub, etc.) with some ice and water. Place a shirt over the fermenter and face a fan near the fermenter. Wet the shirt.

The water will wick up the shirt and the fan (cooler) air will keep the water on the shirt cool thus lowering the temp of the fermenter.:D

How the hell can anyone live in 85 degree temps INDOORS?

I'm such a wuss, I start sweating when my house gets up to 75....

Dammit kid, can you at least lie about your friggin' age on your profile? Humor me, please.

Guess you can tell that school's out....

That's what he means by "My room is 85 F". He's hiding it in his room with the windows and doors locked.:D

Tommy

hha no they wer cool about it, i put it in the basement which is a nice 73.5 F so i should be good. I just set eveything up about 7 hours ago and all of my yeast is at the bottom is this alright?

Edit:

Also how does the air escape from a mr beer brew kit, its just screwed on im really confused.

I would have done a lot more reading before trying to brew anything. I bought two books and browsed this forum for a month before actually doing anything and I still screwed up some stuff.
I'll let someone with some more experience answer your question about your kit.

Dan

Muntzster said:
hha no they wer cool about it, i put it in the basement which is a nice 73.5 F so i should be good. I just set eveything up about 7 hours ago and all of my yeast is at the bottom is this alright?

Edit:

Also how does the air escape from a mr beer brew kit, its just screwed on im really confused.

that temp is much better.

as for Mr. Beer, I think I've seen it mentioned on here that there is some sort of venting around the edge of the screw-on lid or something like a tiny hole in it someplace that lets the carbon dioxide out.

-walker

Muntzster said:
Where can I buy an airlock to make my own brewing kit ?

there are a gazillion home brew shops on the web, and you might even have a brick and mortar shop near your house.

Or, just use a piece of fat sipon tube and run it into a jug of water or sanitizer. This is commonly called a blow-off hose because it allows kraeusen to escape, but it's basically just a huge airlock. You can find more about them with some searching.

-walker

Walker-san said:
there are a gazillion home brew shops on the web, and you might even have a brick and mortar shop near your house.

Or, just use a piece of fat sipon tube and run it into a jug of water or sanitizer. This is commonly called a blow-off hose because it allows kraeusen to escape, but it's basically just a huge airlock. You can find more about them with some searching.

-walker

which one is your favorite?

Muntzster said:
which one is your favorite?

both have their advantages.
airlocks are small.
blow-offs allow overflows to happen without making a mess.

If you had asked me last week, I would have just said airlock. That's because I had never had a fermentation actually overflow a carboy. But, I've had blow-outs twice this week, so...

Walker-san said:
both have their advantages.
airlocks are small.
blow-offs allow overflows to happen without making a mess.

If you had asked me last week, I would have just said airlock. That's because I had never had a fermentation actually overflow a carboy. But, I've had blow-outs twice this week, so...

whats your favorite site though?

so if i use a siphon from my fermenter to my carboy will that work as a blow off or will i need to also put an airlock on this? i can then use this and pressure to suck the beer out of the fermenter and into the carboy without bringing the yeast, what about bottling then?

Muntzster said:
whats your favorite site though?

sorry... I misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking about the airlock.

I actually do my shopping at a local store, but there are MANY threads on here about favorite online shopping, some even started in the last day or so.

-walker

Muntzster said:
so if i use a siphon from my fermenter to my carboy will that work as a blow off or will i need to also put an airlock on this? i can then use this and pressure to suck the bear out of the fermenter and into the carboy without bringing the yeast, what about bottling then?

search for info about blow off hoses. regular siphon hose is not really suitable for it. You need something larger.

If you haven't already looked at it, check out www.howtobrew.com. There's a wealth of information there in a pretty user-friendly format.

-walker

Latest posts

Back