Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Time Brew Last Night - A Few Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #11
Jablestein
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Ahhh alright, that's good to know! I haven't been mixing the wort, water and yeast together at all, just putting them together and pitching it on top. I'll make sure to try that next time. Thanks again guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #12
motleybrews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycount
Just to clarify, you can aerate immediately after pitching the yeast but you do not want to aerate during or after fermentation, that can cause your beer to stale sooner.
Yea, my bad. Thought I mentioned that

Old 08-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #13
Jablestein
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did talk to someone who said they take the fermentation bucket and shake it every few days during fermentation. Anything wrong with doing that?

Old 08-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4773 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jablestein View Post
I did talk to someone who said they take the fermentation bucket and shake it every few days during fermentation. Anything wrong with doing that?
Yes, actually. By shaking the bucket, they risk oxidation. There is no advantage to it, and harm may be done.

If you've ever watched fermentation, it's quite active. The yeast are rolling around, even producing heat as they work. A krausen forms on top, but there is lots of activity under the krausen. The yeast know where the sugars are, and so there is no reason to agitate them.

Once fermentation slows, the yeast flocculate and fall out to the bottom. The yeast actually go back and digest their own waste products after the fermentable sugars are gone. After that, they go dormant, and the beer will start to clarify. Once the beer is clear, it can be racked and packaged.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:20 AM   #15
Jablestein
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Yes, actually. By shaking the bucket, they risk oxidation. There is no advantage to it, and harm may be done.

If you've ever watched fermentation, it's quite active. The yeast are rolling around, even producing heat as they work. A krausen forms on top, but there is lots of activity under the krausen. The yeast know where the sugars are, and so there is no reason to agitate them.

Once fermentation slows, the yeast flocculate and fall out to the bottom. The yeast actually go back and digest their own waste products after the fermentable sugars are gone. After that, they go dormant, and the beer will start to clarify. Once the beer is clear, it can be racked and packaged.
Yooper to the rescue once again! Thanks alot!

Quick Reply