The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First time bottling my beer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
D-Wes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default First time bottling my beer!

Wish me luck fellas! I am bottling my 1 gallon batch of Imperial Russian Stout and my 1 gallon batch of my hoppy Red Ale! Should be drinking in 2 weeks!!!

1 gallon home brewer
Bottled:
Fermenting: Imperial Russian Stout and a Railside Red clone (overhopped)
Next in line: Hopstoopid clone and my own concoction

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 02:02 AM   #2
Johnnyhamer
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The stout may take longer than 2 weeks so don't be disappointed if it doesn't meet expectations early. Time for you to start another batch. Enjoy!

Drinking: Beer

Old 05-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #3
D-Wes
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Update: only bottled the IRS tonight (will do the red ale tomorrow) created some air in the tube during the auto siphon portion, stirred in the sugar solution after I put the beer in the bottling bucket, the valve was open on the bottling bucket during the siphon but closed it once I saw the leak, wasn't sure if I had enough beer for a 9th bottle so I poured the rest in a glass and noticed I had enough so I put it back in the bucket then in a bottle, we shall see how it turns out!

1 gallon home brewer
Bottled:
Fermenting: Imperial Russian Stout and a Railside Red clone (overhopped)
Next in line: Hopstoopid clone and my own concoction

Old 05-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #4
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 226

I'll be quite surprised if the stout is ready in two weeks. Three weeks @ 70 degrees is the baseline for typical beers. Higher gravities and cooler temps can take longer.

I just opened the first of my Belgian golden strongs tonight. They've been in bottles for 4 weeks now @ 70-72 degrees. Got a nice "pffft", but only a very thin layer of head that faded almost immediately. Very little residual carbonation. Of course, it's an 8.5% ABV beer, so I'm not too surprised. I'll leave it alone for another 2-4 weeks before I try another.

On the plus side, bulk aging was obviously good to me (nine weeks primary, two weeks secondary); the beer iddn't have any green flavors at all. Wonderful pear esters, great dry finsih. A little sweeter up front than I expected, but since it's still pretty flat, I'm betting that can be attributed to priming sugar.

OP - that stout style is one that really benefits from some nice aging. Try to set at least a few back for several months, and see if they aren't the best in the batch.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Quick Reply