Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First time Bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 04:15 AM   #1
loh777
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First time Bottling

As the subject says this was my first time bottling my first batch of beer. I mixed the priming sugar and added it into my bottling bucket as the instructions told me to. My question is how do I keep the sediment that was floating at the top of the fermentation bucket out of the bottling bucket and thus out of my beer bottles. I ran it through a stainer today to try and keep as much out as possible, but a lot of it still got through. Also I was unsure if I should have run it through the strainer or if I allowed to much oxygen to get to the beer. It's to late to do anything about it now but I would like to know for next time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 04:30 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For future reference...don't use a strainer. As you said, it introduces to much oxygen into the beer.

As for the sediment... your racking cane should have some sort of cap over the end to help. Other than that, it takes patience and a very good eye to avoid sucking up anything you don't want. I usually leave a little beer in the bucket so I don't risk sucking anythin up.

As for the sediment though, it will settle out. You're going to have sediment anyways because of the priming sugar, but I realize you want as little as possible. When it gets cold, most of it will get stuck to the bottom of the bottle, and if you pour slow into your glass, it shouldn't get into your glass.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-29-2009, 04:33 AM   #3
bigin31
Recipes 

LOH, First off do you have a spigot on your priming container? The floaty stuff at the top of fermenter is Krausen, a byproduct of the aerobic activity of the yeast. It won't hurt and often will go away once you poor your fine beer into a glass. If you have a spigot on your priming container just watch when the Krausen gets close to the bottom and stop pooring. Or, use a strainer to remove the Krausen before you poor. You can get most of it out this way. Another suggestion would be to get a siphon tube and racking cane. Put a stop on the siphon tube so that you can close it off when the bottle is full. No need to worry about infection now. The yeast has done its job and doesn't need to worry about fighting for O2 from bacteria.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Running beer through a strainer is not so good but since it's your first batch you will probably have it all drank before it has aged (or oxidized).

How long was your beer in the fermenter? I ask because if you have a lot of stuff floating, I'm thinking you might not have left it long enough.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:38 AM   #5
bigin31
Recipes 

Oh yeah I forgot I have done this. Double wrap a panty hose around the spigot when you are pooring into the bottle. It doesn't look like it filters much but when you take it off to clean it you will see it works wonders. Just be careful. It drips like crazy.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:45 AM   #6
loh777
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It was in the fermenting bucket for 2 weeks.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:51 AM   #7
pdbreen

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How did you transfer? If you used a siphon/racking cane, just stop the siphon before the top would get sucked in. If you get a bit in, not a huge deal. You've also stumbled on one of the reasons why secondary fermentation is suggested - it allows a second chance for trub to settle before bottling.

On Deck: Centennial IPA, Dry Irish Stout
P: Cascade Pale Ale
S: (nothing!)
K: (nothing!)
T: Carbed Crystal Light, Root Beer, Vanilla Cream Soda, Tripel IPA, Apfelwein

e^(pi*i) + 1 = 0

Old 10-29-2009, 04:56 AM   #8
loh777
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used a siphon to transfer. I think I will get a carboy before I start my next batch.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:58 AM   #9
bigin31
Recipes 

Trying getting a racking cane first. It's an L shaped piece of glass that goes on the end of teh siphon.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:58 AM   #10
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It's hard to wait on the first couple batches but it does get easier. Yours could have probably used another week or two. You might get a lot of sediment in your bottles but if you chill it for several days before opening it will help.

For your next batch try to leave it a little longer. I always leave my beer at least 4 weeks in primary so it is crystal clear and bulk aged when I bottle it.

Also, you can use Mother Nature this time of year for crash cooling. If your night time temps are cold but above freezing, you can put your primary outside overnight to help things drop out of suspension.

Quick Reply