Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First time All Grain questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1901 Times on 1880 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default First time All Grain questions

I posted part of this on another thread earlier today and got an answer (thanks). But since I have more questions, I thought I would start a new thread as to not hijack that one. I converted a 10 Gal Rubbermaid today and once I finish the manifold, will be making my first AG batch. So here are my questions:

If I am assuming 1-1.25 qts/lb for my infusion and .5 gal/lb for my sparge water, that comes to this: 8.5 lbs grains @ 1.25 qts/lb = 6.8 qts (or 1.7 gal) and my sparge would be approx 4.25 gal. Is this correct? Just want to make sure I understand this properly.

I guess where I am most confused is finding the correct mash temp and length of time. I have seen so many different ideas on proper temp and times that I confused. I know that different temps do different things, but is there a "standard" for single infusion? I ask this because all of the Northern Brewer AG kits I have seen call for a 60 min Sacch Rest at 150* and a 10 min mash out at 170*. So is this a "standard" that can be followed?

As usual, thanks to everyone on HBT! Almost everything I know about brewing I learned here!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2010, 02:56 AM   #2
demonrichie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

extract myself but through my research(and it has been pretty extensive) the magic mash temp number i have seen seems to be 153 give or take a few also depending on beer style. as for the sparge size im still learning but from what ive seen and read your numbers dont seem far off.

makng a site about homebrewing for fun you can check it out a hbhda.weebly.com . im still working on it and any tips are appreciated

Old 05-23-2010, 03:39 AM   #3
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Merritt View Post
I know that different temps do different things, but is there a "standard" for single infusion? I ask this because all of the Northern Brewer AG kits I have seen call for a 60 min Sacch Rest at 150* and a 10 min mash out at 170*. So is this a "standard" that can be followed?
I am an AG brewer and sometimes do a single infusion at 153 and sometimes do a stepped infusion at 135 and then 153. That thing about a 170 mashout is more for fly sparging. I fly sparge myself and do a mashout. At least what I've read here, some experienced AG batch spargers here have not seen a difference without a mashout. If you're batch sparging, I'd say the main thing you should try to shoot for with your 1st AG is your mash temp. Hitting 150 to 153 and mashing for 60 minutes will be your main "standard".

Also, for doing quick calculations of mash temps, I just use greenbay rackers. The temperatures and volumes are a rough estimate: you'll find that there is some temperature loss with the container you're using....so it's best to measure the temp as you're stirring hot water in. 8.5 lbs times 1.25 quarts per pound equals 10.625 quarts. An exact number for an inexact science. I tend to aim for 170 degree water and then will keep adding that until I reach 153 degrees.
On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Last edited by davesrose; 05-23-2010 at 03:43 AM.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:48 AM   #4
JNye
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

i have been using the 1.25 qts/lb and then sparging whatever i need to attain my preboil volume. And I do it in 2 sparges usually. I don't do the 170 mashout either. I batch sparge. The way I understand it is the 170 thing is to stop conversion, but that really isn't necesary cuz the batch sparge takes like 5-10 minutes tops and its on to boiling. Just me though. I'm still learning too.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:33 AM   #5
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I will weigh in with another noob opinion. I have been doing double sparges ( seem to get far better efficiency) I do a 150 degree mash for 60 mins at 1.25 qts per pound...Then sparge with 185 degree water .... so far so good. Just measure your spoarge water to make sure you hit your preboil volume.. for example if you are shooting for 6 gallons preboil and your mash run off is two gallons, your sparge needs to be 4 gallons. either single or split.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 05-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
KingKegII
Recipes 

Jason, what others have said is correct. 153 F is a compromise to get good activity from the malt enzymes beta amylase and alpha amylase; shoot for that temp and you can't go wrong. This is especially true for your first few batches until you get your system dialed in. Once it's dialed in, you can play w/ your mash temp to tweak the beer: lower mash temps will result in a thinner, drier beer; higher mash temps will result in a sweeter/maltier beer. Here's a good, concise summary on mashing: http://www.realbeer.com/jjpalmer/ch14.html

Cheers.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1901 Times on 1880 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Great info guys, thanks! I can't wait to make my first AG. Unfortunatley, this months "brewing budget" went to making the mash tun! hahahaha So it's on for next month. I'm thinking of making a Kolsch, since that was going to be my next brew anyway. I just bottled a pale ale, so something else light for summer is what I am going for.

Thanks again to everyone on this site!

Old 03-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
kicknbrew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Sounds like you need a bigger brewing budget... don't we all.

Great thread. I'm going AG for the first time in April, and this helped answer a few of my own questions.

Brew on, brother.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #9
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

The mash temp is going to vary between 147 and 158 depending on your recipe. If you are doing a dry belgian or saison you don't want to mash in at 153. most AG kits will tell you what temp to mash at. It may be best to start with a proven recipe (kit) and get your process down. I do recommend getting a nice digital thermometer. I use one very similar to this that is spot on

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CE8Q8wIwAA#

go to brew365.com and you will find some good mash and sparge calculators. I have been getting 5 -5.25 gallons into the fermentor every time.

read up on the stickies in the AG section and write down your process before you start

Old 03-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #10
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGingerBrewing View Post
IIf I am assuming 1-1.25 qts/lb for my infusion and .5 gal/lb for my sparge water, that comes to this: 8.5 lbs grains @ 1.25 qts/lb = 6.8 qts (or 1.7 gal) and my sparge would be approx 4.25 gal. Is this correct? Just want to make sure I understand this properly.
Your math is wrong. 8.5lbs grains @ 1.25qts/lb = 10.625 qts

Moose

Quick Reply