Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I dig using lactose because it adds a little twang and mellowness to the beer. I used to keep my milk stouts and coffee stouts as separate recipes, but an experimental batch quickly changed my mind. Seems all my good recipes were accidents at their inception. If you're looking for an awesome example of a big coffee stout, try to find a bottle of Terrapin Wake 'N Bake. Sweet mother of wort that stuff is amazing. That one is sans lactose though.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Lactose is used in milk or cream stouts (I just brewed one last weekend with 1 lb of lactose at 5 minutes) lactose is milk sugar and is unfermentable so it adds some sweetness and some body to the beer.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
RowleseyCraftFoods
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

excellent, i like the sounds of this lactose stuff, i think it will be in my recipe for sure.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #14
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I know this may be amateur but i didn't know it when i added lactose to my recipe. It will raise your final gravity considerably more than it would have been without adding it. I thought i had a stuck fermentation for a while when my beer stopped at 1.029 but that was as low as it wanted to go and it is delicious.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #15
RowleseyCraftFoods
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah that sounds perfect. as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'll also be making a hard cider so I can make black velvets with them, so I figure the higher my FG on the stout the better the separation I'll get from the cider. Things are looking good.

Quick Reply