New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First solo brew down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
Challenger440
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default First solo brew down

I did a partial mash and my mash-sparge-boil went about as smooth as possible. No boilovers, hit all the time marks, everything was great. My only hiccup and the saddest part of my day was when I was siphoning into my fermentation bucket and my sanitized bucket became unsanitized...... so I had to dump ~1.5 gallons of delicious wort. So now I have 1.5 gallons of wort and 2 gallons of sparge water fermenting. This threw off my OG (as the 3 gallons of wort had 6.6lbs of LME) and I ended up with an OG of 1.042, my target was 1.066.

Ohh well, I will still get beer in 3-4 weeks. We will have to see how it turns out

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Congratulations on your successful brew day!

How did you bucket become unsanitized and why did you decide to dump? Even if there was a serious issue like a swarm of flies getting into the wort, it would be worth it to split off some yeast and ferment that other 1.5 gallons separately. You never know if it will pull through.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
dpittard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, what happened?

Old 12-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
Congratulations on your successful brew day!

How did you bucket become unsanitized and why did you decide to dump? Even if there was a serious issue like a swarm of flies getting into the wort, it would be worth it to split off some yeast and ferment that other 1.5 gallons separately. You never know if it will pull through.
I agree. Sometimes I think we home brewers become sanitation nazis. Don't get me wrong here, we do need to sanitze and work in a clean environment, but then again is our level of fear justified?

Old 12-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
Kaner
Recipes 

Congrats! So how did the bucket become un-sanitized?

Old 12-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
Lunarpancake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammon N Beer View Post
I agree. Sometimes I think we home brewers become sanitation nazis. Don't get me wrong here, we do need to sanitze and work in a clean environment, but then again is our level of fear justified?
especially where beer and ferment-ables are concerned...best offense is a good defense.

Sure, we most likely don't need to have that spray bottle with more sanitizer, but if it prevents an infection that destroys your beer (and your holiday season) then I would say....go nuts with it!

Old 12-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
Challenger440
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I was picking up a few things and throwing them into the sink when I dropped a fork covered in pancake batter. The fork managed to bounce off the edge of the counter, shoot over towards the bucket, and squeeze through the 3-4 inch wide gap between the edge of the bucket and the cover.

I figured I would not chance it, and I don't have an extra fermentation vessel yet. Good news though, 11 hours after pitching the yeast we have action in the air lock.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
techrunner
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

pancake porter?

Old 12-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
bohdan987
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

that suks, i would splited that wort and made put it in two separat fermenters. you newer know you might of be fine(maybe you would ended up with a pancake flavord beer,ha-ha-ha). next time keep keep couple of pounds of DME in stock so you can "catch up" on your SG in case like that!
yes, most of the times we go over board with sanitation(iam not saying that a dirty fork in the wort is not a big deal)!

T.O.P
Brewery

Quick Reply