Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first sample

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
jerzyjoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first sample

So im three weeks in, only one week in bottles and I decided to give a taste. The color seemes right, the head was very thin and dicipated after about a minute, and it smelled great. The taste however was not what I had imagined. It had an initial good beer taste that was over powerd by what I would consider a skunk beer taste. Like I said, its only been in the bottle for a week so hopefully the taste will fill in. Is this typical? oh and the beer is a nutbrown ale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2007, 01:53 AM   #2
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A skunk-like smell is almost always a result of the fermented beer being exposed to direct sunlight. Here is some more info for you, maybe something in there applies to your process that you might want to correct.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply