New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First run at an IPA Recipe, looking for feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
Soulfeather
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First run at an IPA Recipe, looking for feedback

Hello all, I am a homebrew newb, but am already hooked by the craft. I recently came up on a free homebrew kit. Glass carboy, stainless steel pot, Papazian's Homebrew Book and most of the supplies that come w/ a standard kit. I read the book cover to cover (twice) before attempting my 1st recipe. I frequent a Brewery that is also a HB store. Last Friday I headed over there, book in hand and the owner set me up w/ an IPA recipe. It was a malt extraxt and partial grain recipe. I pre-boiled the grain in a brew bag, and just before boiling I pulled the bag and added the extract and 1st round of hops. After 50 mins I added the finishing hops, reduced heat and pulled the wort at 60 mins. I had 3 gallons of ice cold water poured in my carboy and w/ a strainer and a funnel, I proceeded to add the wort. I then took a temp and hydrometer reading.(1.043) I pitched the yeast(Wyeast in ale) and attached the feremetation lock. I moved the carboy into my garage and left it alone. I went to an xmas party and when I came home that night, activity was already evident. Over the next 3 days, things were churning and looking great. It has been 5 days and things are starting to settle and clear. The beginners section in Papazian's book states I should bottle between 8-14 days. From what I have read here, I should rack it and possibly run a dry hop sequence. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
trevorc13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

After fermentation has completely stopped, I would rack to a secondary if possible and let it clear for a couple weeks. Then add your dry hops (1 or 2 oz) and wait 4-6 days before bottling. That's just what I would do. Others may have a different opinion.

Thanks for the input

Old 12-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Clann
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 49

most people will leave beer in the primary for 3 weeks. Most of mine tend to get bottled between 2-3 weeks. No need to rack, just drop the hops in about a week before you bottle

Old 12-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
Soulfeather
Recipes 

thanks for the input. If I add the dry hops to the primary, is it best to go w/ pellet, liquid or another form?

Old 12-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
jourelemode
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfeather View Post
thanks for the input. If I add the dry hops to the primary, is it best to go w/ pellet, liquid or another form?
there's only pellet and whole leaf. You can go either way...

just to keep it simple, use pellet hops. Put them in a muslin bag with some sanitized marbles or something so they can fall to the bottom in order to submerge the hops into the beer, increasing the surface area contact and getting more out of the hops. Make sure you tie the muslin bag near the top so that the hops inside have the most room in which to expand. Again, the larger the surface area, the more you'll extract from the hops used in dry hopping.

On deck: Chimay Red clone, Westvleteren abt. 12 clone, Hoppy Darko Cascadian Dark Ale
Conditioning: chocolate stout

up next: Vitamin CITRA IIPA

Old 12-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
Soulfeather
Recipes 

ok...thanks..I will use the marble/bag and post up when complete

Old 12-16-2010, 01:22 AM   #7
Soulfeather
Recipes 

last question, is it a pain to remove the swollen hop bag from the primary after it's been xfer'd to the secondary for bottling?

Old 12-16-2010, 06:00 AM   #8
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 3

if you're using pellets theres no need for a bag, they'll sink on their own. just give it 2 weeks in the primary, then add the dry hops for a week, then bottle.

Also, in the future, pull your grains much earlier, you dont want them going above 170F for any extended period otherwise you risk extracting tannins.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:53 PM   #9
Soulfeather
Recipes 

sounds good...I'm gonna just drop the pellets in then

Old 12-17-2010, 05:19 AM   #10
harihari
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfeather View Post
sounds good...I'm gonna just drop the pellets in then
Rack it-- you get a slight yeasty bitterness if it just sits in the fermenter. then bottle.

Quick Reply