Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First review of my n/a beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default First review of my n/a beer

I called the neighbor and told him to chill down one of his NA beers and see if it is carbonated yet. (I made some oatmeal stout and then heated up some for an hour to remove as much alcohol as possible as he cannot drink) he reminded me that he prefers dark beers at room temperature, so I told him to pop one open and give me a detailed description of the pour and the head etc. he said it had a nice psssst on opening and a nice thick head that lasted the entire glass. I asked about the taste and he simply said MMMMMMMMM then his wife wanted to talk to my wife and angie started laughing ( my wife) because he was singing about the beer in the background lol. I swore I would never do it again but his reaction made it worth the hassle ..sooooo I am thinking an NA porter?

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
pwndabear
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

i cringe at the thought of doing that to such a wonderful creation, but if it's good and you like your neighbor enough, go for it. sounds like it could be good (just make sure you get rid of all of the alcohol or he could end up being back in AA [if that is indeed why he can't drink alcohol])

Old 08-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Mitsuzuki85
Recipes 

Sounds like the perfect homebrew review to me! I'll do backflips if someone even just hums a bar when they try my first batch!

My father doesn't drink alcohol (AA etc..) but he sure loves every cool NA beer that I could find him. Is the baking method something that could be trusted to remove nearly all the alcohol, or does it just cut some of it out? Like mentioned in the previous post, the last thing I want to do is take any chances with that.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

he has the alcoholic thing going PLUS health issues. I told him and his wife that I could NOT guarantee that there was no alcohol in the beer. he used to drink a case or better of beer every day, plus some liquor. doc told him he had to quit so he said OK, and has not had a drink since.he just stopped drinking, no meetings no help, just quit. he will occasionally take a sip or even stick a pinky in one of my homebrews to taste it. he tried the oatmeal stout a while back and asked for an NA version of it. I only ended up with a 6 pack ( I boiled it over) he claims it is better than the alcoholic version but I find that hard to believe. Is there any way I can check the alcohol content without having to buy any more equipment? could I float a hydrometer in one of each( NA and regular) and will that tell me anything?

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 08-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
pwndabear
Recipes 

Take the SG reading at the time you pitch the yeast in the wort. Call that A.
Take the SG reading when fermentation is completely finished. Call that B.
Subtract B from A. Call the answer C.
Multiply C by 1.05 and call the answer D.
Divide D by B and call the answer E.
Divide E by 0.79 and the answer is the percentage of alcohol (by volume).

I would imagine substituting the SG after the bake-off would be sufficient, however I could be wrong.

It sounds to me like your neighbor stopped doing it for health reasons only and just REALLY liked beer/alcohol. If he had an addiction, i dont think he would have been able to give it up so quickly, so maybe he doesnt need every last drop to be burned off?

Old 08-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwndabear View Post
Take the SG reading at the time you pitch the yeast in the wort. Call that A.
Take the SG reading when fermentation is completely finished. Call that B.
Subtract B from A. Call the answer C.
Multiply C by 1.05 and call the answer D.
Divide D by B and call the answer E.
Divide E by 0.79 and the answer is the percentage of alcohol (by volume).

I would imagine substituting the SG after the bake-off would be sufficient, however I could be wrong.

It sounds to me like your neighbor stopped doing it for health reasons only and just REALLY liked beer/alcohol. If he had an addiction, i dont think he would have been able to give it up so quickly, so maybe he doesnt need every last drop to be burned off?
yeah I think he REALLY liked it. he would pop a beer open and set it on his night stand in case he woke up in the night.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 08-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
pwndabear
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
yeah I think he REALLY liked it. he would pop a beer open and set it on his night stand in case he woke up in the night.
Now THAT is a man who knows his priorities.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Well since with this heart issue I'm supposed to stop drinking, I too have been contemplating beginning to experiment with making good quality NA beers (Hell there may even be commercial ramifications if I can pull it off, since the only NA stuff out there is clones of macroswill lager.)

I haven't done much yet, BUT I have collected and read all the threads and the weblinks in those threads (Like to the BYO article that a lot of people on here have successfully followed to make low or no alcohol homebrew.

I plan on presenting my info in a thread as I discover stuff.

I commend you for working on this....Contrary to what others may say it is NOT a waste of time or "perfectly good homebrew" to embark on this project....Try walking in MY shoes right now being me, award winning brewer, writing a book on brewing history, doing historical brewing demos, teaching classes on beer and food pairing and beer tasting, teaching folks to brew, helping around here, to be told by his cardiologist, that he can't/shouldn't be drinking ANY alcohol......Though talking to one of the faculty here I found out that that might be a bit overblown, and more the cardiologist covering his ass, by presenting worst case scenarios, than anything else.

But still, there is something missing in homebrewing/beer drinking in general, good quality, good tasting NA beer in flavors other than "light lager." And maybe Steve and I can be the ones to figure it out.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Bopper Likes This 
Old 08-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

This is interesting, plus the news chick gets my "yellow fever" going.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi....beer.cnn.html

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Well since with this heart issue I'm supposed to stop drinking, I too have been contemplating beginning to experiment with making good quality NA beers (Hell there may even be commercial ramifications if I can pull it off, since the only NA stuff out there is clones of macroswill lager.)

I haven't done much yet, BUT I have collected and read all the threads and the weblinks in those threads (Like to the BYO article that a lot of people on here have successfully followed to make low or no alcohol homebrew.

I plan on presenting my info in a thread as I discover stuff.

I commend you for working on this....Contrary to what others may say it is NOT a waste of time or "perfectly good homebrew" to embark on this project....Try walking in MY shoes right now being me, award winning brewer, writing a book on brewing history, doing historical brewing demos, teaching classes on beer and food pairing and beer tasting, teaching folks to brew, helping around here, to be told by his cardiologist, that he can't/shouldn't be drinking ANY alcohol......Though talking to one of the faculty here I found out that that might be a bit overblown, and more the cardiologist covering his ass, by presenting worst case scenarios, than anything else.

But still, there is something missing in homebrewing/beer drinking in general, good quality, good tasting NA beer in flavors other than "light lager." And maybe Steve and I can be the ones to figure it out.....

I will do a side by side of them in a day or so. Still gotta figure a definitive way to determine ABV in the final product though.
BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply