Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First red ale in primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
hoppyale99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First red ale in primary

First attempt at extract brewing, and using a propane cooker worked great. used 1/2 boil (3 gal), nice clean boil the cascade pellet hops for bittering created a nice aroma, they will expand to a large looking volume in hop bag. wort chiller worked well until i noticed a small leak shooting water in the batch i quickly stopped by pressing finger over the hole. praying it didnt destroy it. note: (check all equiptment before using it). cooled super fast, added fresh water to fill batch amount and several switch backs from pot to primary achieved good aeration formed a thick foam on top, pitched yeast as i put on lid and set airlock. now hoping for active bubbler and sitting at 66°.... next up, break out pipe torch and fill hole in copper...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
derbycitybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Make sure you use the right solder. Can't think of the chemical it's supposed to be free of. Having a brain fart. Sorry. Congrats on the first kit. Hopefully everything goes good. Best tip I can give is LEAVE YOUR BEER TO FERMENT. Best tip ever. Cheers and welcome to homebrewing.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbycitybrewer View Post
Make sure you use the right solder. Can't think of the chemical it's supposed to be free of. Having a brain fart. Sorry. Congrats on the first kit. Hopefully everything goes good. Best tip I can give is LEAVE YOUR BEER TO FERMENT. Best tip ever. Cheers and welcome to homebrewing.
Having a little sip before sitting at the keyboard?

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 12-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
hoppyale99
Recipes 

i will have to look into that about the solder, leak is above submerging point just down from hose connection so i think it will be ok. bubbler was filled to 1/2 point on both sides and has been pushed to the outflow side after 14hrs so were getting co2, hope i filled bubbler correct.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:28 AM   #5
derbycitybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyale99
i will have to look into that about the solder, leak is above submerging point just down from hose connection so i think it will be ok. bubbler was filled to 1/2 point on both sides and has been pushed to the outflow side after 14hrs so were getting co2, hope i filled bubbler correct.
It's lead free. Was having a brain fart last night. It will state it on the solder package. When u say bubbler your talking about your airlock right? Should be a very slight line on it. Halfway is fine. If your bubbling I'd say your golden. Cheers.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:18 AM   #6
hoppyale99
Recipes 

will do that to fix leak on copper chiller, really freaked me out when i noticed it, i was running water through a hose. airlock is just poppin away so all seems to be moving on.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
derbycitybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyale99
will do that to fix leak on copper chiller, really freaked me out when i noticed it, i was running water through a hose. airlock is just poppin away so all seems to be moving on.
Just now seen the comment sorry. Glad to hear the fermentation is going good. Keep me up to date and what not and post some pics. Cheers.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
hoppyale99
Recipes 

after two weeks in primary i racked into secondary carboy. all went good for first batch. great color, nice smell and very clean looking. just a small amount of trub. around 4.8% abv, if my very first reading is correct. very pleased at this point, going to give it 1 more week and bottle.

forumrunner_20130113_102222.jpg

20130112_170429-1.jpg

Old 01-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
hoppyale99
Recipes 

gave it 10 days in secondary fermentor then racked to bottle. very clean nice taste and had a few what looked like carb bubbles already. bottled in ezcaps and giving 3weeks to carb and hoping for a nice red ale...

Old 02-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
derbycitybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Looks like you had a very nice fermentation. I need to make the investment into the EZ cap bottles. What size did u get? I'm thinking about the 1 liter bottles.

Quick Reply