Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First recipe to brew...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Verio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First recipe to brew...

Ok, so I'm going to post two recipes here that I need to pick for my first brew. I consider myself pretty intelligent and handy... so I'm not very scared of doing an extract+specialty grain. However, I'd like the opinion of others to assist me.

I love me some Belgian White Ales, so I was looking for a Wit Beer to start with. However, here are my two options -

Thanks

Easy Belgian Wit -

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WLP 400
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.00
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 14
Boiling Time (Minutes): 30
Color: 4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days at ~72
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days at ~72

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
6.6 pounds of Coopers Wheat Malt Extract (boil 10mins)
1lb wheat malt (steep 30mins)
1 pound of clear Belgian candi sugar
.5 ounces of bitter orange peel (boil for 2 min)
1 ounces of tettnanger hops @ 4.2% (boil for 10 min)
1 ounces of styrian golding hops @ 4.4% (boil for 30min)
.75 ounces of coriander seed (boil for 2 min)
1 pkg of wlp400 or you could use wlp410.
0.75 cups of corn sugar (priming)

Everyone that has had this so far has loved it. I'll probably do it again as a partial mash.
Also the color is much darker than 4* since I used LME.

Quite a while since I made this up. For an outstanding white that is AG only, see my Killer Bee Wit.
and

Raspberry Wheat Ale Extract Kit from Northern Brewer

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/raspberry-wheat-extract-kit-2.html

Last edited by Verio; 10-28-2010 at 10:24 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Either one of those recipes would be equally difficult (or easy, depending on how you look at it!). You could easily do either.

If you need specific instructions with that first recipe, we'll be glad to type out step-by-step instructions for you if you want.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Verio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Brew View Post
Either one of those recipes would be equally difficult (or easy, depending on how you look at it!). You could easily do either.

If you need specific instructions with that first recipe, we'll be glad to type out step-by-step instructions for you if you want.
Thanks a lot. I *think* I've got the steps down on how to steep the grains, as I've been reading the John Palmer book non-stop. Steeping is always at 155 or so degrees, correct?

I do have a few probably pretty dumb questions though...

I keep reading posts on people using iodine, bleach, and other abrasive chemicals to sanitize their equipment. How can you keep the equipment sanitized, since you have to rinse the equipment out afterward, using such abrasive chemicals? For example, how can I soak the tubing, and then expect to rinse it out? Do I have to boil all of that extra water for rinsing water?

The recipe calls for the Extract to only be boiled for 10 minutes... and that seems much shorter than what I usually read (60 minutes). Perhaps I'm miss reading the recipe?

The recipe also calls for Wheat Malt to be steeped... I was thinking of using the Rahr White Wheat Malt from Northern Brewery (http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-ingredients/grain-malts/rahr-white-wheat-malt.html). Would that work, or should I look at a different Wheat?

I really appreciate the help!

Last edited by Verio; 10-28-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
I keep reading posts on people using iodine, bleach, and other abrasive chemicals to sanitize their equipment. How can you keep the equipment sanitized, since you have to rinse the equipment out afterward, using such abrasive chemicals? For example, how can I soak the tubing, and then expect to rinse it out? Do I have to boil all of that extra water for rinsing water?
I'll just tackle the sanitizer question: Get some StarSan - It's a no rinse sanitizer. You can put it in a spray bottle, spray anything you need sanitized, wait 1 minute, then use the equipment. No rinse.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
Verio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I'll just tackle the sanitizer question: Get some StarSan - It's a no rinse sanitizer. You can put it in a spray bottle, spray anything you need sanitized, wait 1 minute, then use the equipment. No rinse.
Thanks

Old 10-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
Verio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ugh... I missed the first part of the recipe, which I've just now added. Still seems odd having a 30 minute boil, with not adding the extract until 10 minutes remain.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
The recipe calls for the Extract to only be boiled for 10 minutes... and that seems much shorter than what I usually read (60 minutes). Perhaps I'm miss reading the recipe?
You're probably not reading it wrong... extract really doesn't have to be boiled long. Are you adding hops at any point though? I ask because if you are and they are bittering hops then they would need to be boiled for usually 60 min. If you are using hopped extract then that will be taking care of the bitterness; perhaps then maybe you're just adding an aroma hop for 10 min or less? Either way, the recipe "should" describe to you what to do... I seem to recall that recipe directions are not always so good though... What type of hops do you have and what does the recipe say to do with them?

Old 10-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
Verio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
You're probably not reading it wrong... extract really doesn't have to be boiled long. Are you adding hops at any point though? I ask because if you are and they are bittering hops then they would need to be boiled for usually 60 min. If you are using hopped extract then that will be taking care of the bitterness; perhaps then maybe you're just adding an aroma hop for 10 min or less? Either way, the recipe "should" describe to you what to do... I seem to recall that recipe directions are not always so good though... What type of hops do you have and what does the recipe say to do with them?
Calls for the Bittering Hops to be boiled for 30 mins, and the aroma hop for 10 minutes.

1 ounces of tettnanger hops @ 4.2% (boil for 10 min)
1 ounces of styrian golding hops @ 4.4% (boil for 30min)

Old 10-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

That's a very low IBU recipe- you can use 1 ounce of bittering hops at 30 minutes, and get enough bitterness. I'm sure that the recipe takes it into account, but one of us can run it through some brewing software to check if you don't have any.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
Verio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What would be the different effects you would get in a beer, using Belgian Candi vice Honey, in the case of a Wit?

Quick Reply