Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Recipe, any suggestions? (Chocolate Cranberry Imperial Stout)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
Dairpo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Recipe, any suggestions? (Chocolate Cranberry Imperial Stout)

Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a while as my first brew (a kit cider) was aging and it turned out well, so I've upped the ambition and am looking at making a Chocolate Cranberry Imperial Stout this weekend. If all goes well, I hope to have it ready for the last month or so of winter.

Here's the recipe that I've pieced together from a variety of sources. The units are in metric, as that's what my LHBS sells it in, but I've tried to translate

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Safales-33
Yeast Starter:
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: n/a

Batch Size: 20 litres ~5gallons
Original Gravity: 1.089 (estimated using HBD's calculator)
Final Gravity: 1.025 (expected)
IBU: 28
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 239 HCU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14+ @ 20 C
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14+ at 20 C
Tasting Notes: none yet

4.9kg Light LME (3 cans, 10.5 lbs)

Grains (steeped in 5 litres for ~30-45 minutes)
500g American Crystal 60L (1.1lbs)
750g American Chocolate (1.7lbs)
500g Black Malt (1.1lbs)
250g Roasted Barley (.6lbs)

Hops:
28g Northern Brewer (8.5%AA, 60min) (1 ounce)
42g Goldings (5%AA, 30min) (1.5ounce)
42g Goldings (5%AA, 15 min) (ditto)
1/2 cup fat free premium cocoa powder (10 min)

Fruit:
500g frozen whole cranberries (secondary) (slightly more than a pound)

I plan to steam the frozen cranberries and then rack the wort on to them in the secondary (glass carboy) after the fermentation has more or less ended in primary (plastic tub). After 2 weeks or so in the secondary (constant hydrometer readings), I'll use corn sugar as a primer and bottle, then let sit for at least 1 week, if I can help it. Hopefully it'll turn out well and I can squirrel some away for next winter!

Any tips/comments/suggestions?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #2
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 113

That seems kinda high on the black malt - I think that's about 10.5 % of the grain bill. With all grain I think that would be pretty harsh, but maybe okay for steeping? I've only used it sparingly, maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Edit - oops I misread. I was thinking 4.9 lbs of extract. Which I guess wouldn't make sense with that OG. Still, I would see if someone with more experience with black malt could give an opinion.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #3
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
Edit - oops I misread. I was thinking 4.9 lbs of extract. Which I guess wouldn't make sense with that OG. Still, I would see if someone with more experience with black malt could give an opinion.
still quite bit considering the chocolate and roasted barely in there too.

OP, i've found that with using dark malts, a little goes a long way. and combining too many real dark varieties can muddle the malt flavor some (although that's not entirely a bad this with a RIS). maybe back off the black some, as it could leave a harsher flavor, or try a de-bittered/de-husked variety of black malt to get the color without the harsh roasty flavor.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Dairpo
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies!

My main concern with all the grains is trying to get the colour right, which obviously should be second fiddle to the actual taste.

Oh! This might make a difference, I made the wrong barley selection on the HBD website--I'm using roast barley but selected flaked barley, which makes a big difference to the colour.

So, if I reduce the black malt by half (250g ~1/2lbs) should I also reduce the chocolate and/or crystal?

Old 01-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
drkaeppel
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 141

You may already be planning to do this, but I would definitely make a starter or double pitch the yeast. I've made this mistake of under-pitching high gravity beers and they came out a little too sweet. Good luck!

-Dave

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life." -Anonymous

Old 01-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
jrobidoux
Recipes 

It might help to freeze your cranberries for a time before steaming and racking with them. I haven't used cranberries before, but I would guess they can be pretty tough, and some folks on these boards think that freezing fruit before use breaks down cell walls and helps get flavor out of them in secondary....I guess search the boards for examples of people using cranberries if you haven't already.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairpo View Post
Thanks for the replies!

My main concern with all the grains is trying to get the colour right, which obviously should be second fiddle to the actual taste.

Oh! This might make a difference, I made the wrong barley selection on the HBD website--I'm using roast barley but selected flaked barley, which makes a big difference to the colour.

So, if I reduce the black malt by half (250g ~1/2lbs) should I also reduce the chocolate and/or crystal?
not sure exactly what you're asking, but.... i'd at least back off the black that much and look for a debittered/dehusked variety of black malt. toning down the chocolate and crystal isn't necessary, but it wouldn't hurt. the general rule is not to go over 20% specialty grains in your grain/extract bill, and no more than 10% crystal/caramel malts. 1# of a dark grain will make a beer dark, much more and you'll get the black beer you are looking for. too much specialty grains and your beer will finish with a high FG.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I am not familiar with HCU units so I plugged you recipe in to Beersmith and for color it calculates 76 SRM which is crazy dark. If you were to go 250g on everything - black, roasted barley, cyrstal 60, and chocolate you get about 50 SRM which is plenty dark. That would give you 17% specialty grains which is more like it.

Whatever you decide let us know how it turns out! +1 on the pitching rates, make sure you pitch enough yeast for this big boy.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Dairpo
Recipes 

Thanks again for the great replies.

I've just made my shopping list, I'll go with less of the specialty grains per the recommendations. And pick up an extra yeast package.

I have one more question about the Caramel/Crystal malt--my store carries 40L and 60L varieties. Does this mostly affect the colouring, or is the sweetness and flavour majorly influenced as well?

Old 01-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa

Recipes 

crystal malt will give some flavor to the beer, the higher lovibond crystals will impart more flavor along with more red/ruby like color. crystal malts are also unfermentable, so they do lend some sweetness to the finished brew.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply