Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First "real" brew, Irish red ale.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
1KD1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

My first 5 gal batch was an Irish red kit from home brew pro shoppe.

I racked to secondary after 2 weeks 5 days. (needed primary for next batch)

I bottled 1.5 weeks after that.

I tasted this past Saturday (2 weeks later) and wasn't impressed. Hopefully more time in the bottle will fix it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

1KD1,

what didn't you like about the taste? What did you notice?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
1KD1
Recipes 

Carbonation was thin, but in terms of taste... I'm still learning how to describe taste with the proper terminology.

Just seemed light for a red and kind of had a bit of floral taste. Like it was dry hopped with carnations or something. Wasn't what I expected from a red.

It was my first big (5gal) brew and I didn't get a good rolling boil. It was only my third brew total (2 Mr. Beers).

I only filled 46 bottles as well. Seems I lost more to trub than I expected. I did make sure the primary was topped off to 5 gals.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #14
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

I did the same thing in starting with a mr beer kit, I did about 4 runs in that. my last one was kinda rough cuz I left it for like a month and a half (forgot about it, lol) so it tasted funky.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:41 AM   #15
TarVolon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneoco1981 View Post
Keep in mind that while your stick on thermometer is saying 70, it is probably 8 degrees warmer inside. Fermentation creates heat. 62 is good. Try and keep it there if at all possible. Where in Michigan do you live?
This, I believe, is incorrect. I think the stick-on thermometer does a pretty good job of gauging wort temperature and not ambient temperature. I brewed a wit last week (yeast likes 66-75), turned the ambient down to 68, stick-on thermometer read 76.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #16
1KD1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarVolon

This, I believe, is incorrect. I think the stick-on thermometer does a pretty good job of gauging wort temperature and not ambient temperature. I brewed a wit last week (yeast likes 66-75), turned the ambient down to 68, stick-on thermometer read 76.
Can you check your own words please. You state your opinion of the above poster being incorrect and then agree with him in the same post.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #17
TarVolon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KD1 View Post
Can you check your own words please. You state your opinion of the above poster being incorrect and then agree with him in the same post.
You might want to re-read both comments. He claims that stick-on thermometers don't accurately measure wort temperature. I say they do. That's textbook disagreement.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #18
1KD1
Recipes 

I apologize. I had only drank one coffee this morning and must have misread that.

Now that I have had some more caffeine, the world seems straightened out and your statement makes more sense.

My stick on thermometer always reads a few degrees higher than ambient temps.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #19
TTB-J
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarVolon View Post
Depends on where you put the stick-on thermometer. Plastic does not conduct heat very well, so putting a stick-on thermometer on a plastic bucket will give you a slightly inaccurate reading. Glass is a little better, so you'll get less of an inaccurate reading. Generally, though, a stick-on is going to be at least a degree or two lower than your wort temp, presuming that the ambient is below the wort temp.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #20
TarVolon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTB-J View Post
Depends on where you put the stick-on thermometer. Plastic does not conduct heat very well, so putting a stick-on thermometer on a plastic bucket will give you a slightly inaccurate reading. Glass is a little better, so you'll get less of an inaccurate reading. Generally, though, a stick-on is going to be at least a degree or two lower than your wort temp, presuming that the ambient is below the wort temp.
Yeah, my point was just that it isn't reading the ambient temperature (and that it was closer to the wort temperature than the ambient). It might be a degree off, but I don't think one degree here or there is going to ruin things. Eight degrees very well may. I seem to recall from another thread that they claimed to be accurate within half a degree if stuck on glass, but I might be mis-remembering

Quick Reply