Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First "real" brew, Irish red ale.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
Doctor_Wily
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Default First "real" brew, Irish red ale.

Hello there everyone!

Just dipping on to say whats up. I got my first "real" brew kit this week and friday I started my beer, an Irish red. I ordered the beginners kit from midwest supply on a good deal.

Anyway, got it all started friday, come saturday it was bubbling away thru the air lock looking good, and now today it seems to have slowed to no bubbling.

Sorta concerned the ferrm stalled but I am sure I'm just being paranoid since it's my first brew (not in a mr beer kit, lol).

Anyway, I guess that's all, I'll keep updating here to discuss how the brew goes.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
Shaneoco1981
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's fine I am sure. Depending on temp where the bucket is, fermentation can happen in 24 hours. I would say leave it alone for 2 weeks, then bottle and enjoy. :-)

Old 04-02-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Hi Shaneoco,

Bucket temp has been between 62 on the cold end and 70 on the high. I figure i'll give it about 2 weeks and then bottle on up! Going to the shop in town here to get some bottles this week.

Cheers!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #4
Shaneoco1981
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Keep in mind that while your stick on thermometer is saying 70, it is probably 8 degrees warmer inside. Fermentation creates heat. 62 is good. Try and keep it there if at all possible. Where in Michigan do you live?

Old 04-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #5
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

I've seen buckets with so much porosity that even with a good gasket they wouldn't push CO2 through an airlock at anything less than full krausen.

Don't worry about it.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
joek440
Recipes 

Hey -
I got the same starter set from Midwest except I chose the Amber Ale.

Mine pretty much went through the exact process you described -- quickly started fermenting and was bubbling pretty well then stopped by Monday (brewed on Saturday).

Happy to see that it shouldn't be a problem

My one concern is with temperature too -- I think mine is on the high end -- close to 75 in my apartment. Is it worth it for this batch to try to cool it down? It seems like the vigorous fermentation has gone past but would it be good to wrap in cool towels or place into a bin with some ice packs? I imagine I could bring it down a few degrees by using ice packs but is it worth messing with it at this point?

Sorry to redirect the thread a bit. It is good to see so many people with the same issues/anxieties as me!

Old 04-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Hi Joek,

Glad to hear you've jumped in the brew tank with the rest of us. :-D

It was a hard choice between the amber and the red for me, but I am a red fan so I went for it, lol.

I'm not well versed on the temp ranges so unfortunately I can't help ya there.

I'll be off to get bottles on thursday so I have em on hand when it comes time. I figure i'll leave mine going for about 2 weeks before I bottle.

Cheers!

Old 04-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Shaneoco,

I am near the greater lansing parts.

cheers!

Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
SpurBrew
Recipes 

I also got the Midwest kit and just did my first brew of the Amber Ale. I followed the directions but I am still having a mild melt down thinking of all the stuff I might have done wrong. If anyone has a minute to address my worries, I would appreciate some feedback.

1) Im worried that my boil was not good enough, even though I had the flame as high as it would go, my boil never really bubbled over like I expected. There was constant movement in the water, but the only way I could really ever get it to "boil" was to cover it for a brief moment. Should I be freaking out about this?

2) After my boil, I had a bunch of green gunk around the edge. I am assuming it was my hops. Is this normal? Or did I mess it up?

3) After I chilled the wort, and added top up water, I took a sample for my hydrometer. I took the measurement but also noticed that there seemed to be a lot of sediment in the wort. Eventually it all settled to the bottom of the hydrometer test tube. Normal?

4?) It smells like hot death in my house. Normal? When does that go away?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

HI Spur,

I can share my experience.

1) Im worried that my boil was not good enough, even though I had the flame as high as it would go, my boil never really bubbled over like I expected. There was constant movement in the water, but the only way I could really ever get it to "boil" was to cover it for a brief moment. Should I be freaking out about this? ~ Mine didnt seem to "boil over" unless i turned the heat up and put the lid on, after tweaking it i eventually found the right mix of heat and cover to keep the temp around 155 and not boil over.

2) After my boil, I had a bunch of green gunk around the edge. I am assuming it was my hops. Is this normal? Or did I mess it up? ~I had the same experience. This was the hops.

3) After I chilled the wort, and added top up water, I took a sample for my hydrometer. I took the measurement but also noticed that there seemed to be a lot of sediment in the wort. Eventually it all settled to the bottom of the hydrometer test tube. Normal? ~ I didn't actually take a hydrometer reading (shame on me, im n00b sorry) but did notice sediment. In my case the bag that was included with the kit had a run in it so it allowed a lot of the hops/grain to sift into the wort. I was able to get some of it out. I figure it will settle out in the ferm tank.

]4?)It smells like hot death in my house. Normal? When does that go away? ~ Not sure why it smells like death. Should smell somewhat like a brewery. I had a very pleasant smell lingering after I finished my brew. Maybe one mans pleasant is another mans death? lol. Surely it will go away.

Cheers!

Quick Reply