Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First "real" batch last night

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Taypo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default First "real" batch last night

SWMBO and I brewed BYO's Moose Drool clone last night, and it was a much more rewarding experience than the first batch (Coopers can, add yeast, wait.) We upgraded to a turkey burner with a 7.5 gallon pot, so got to do the full boil. Grain steeping, hop adds and such certainly feel much more like brewing. The SG for the recipe was 1.052, and we hit 1.053 so it LOOKS like we did everything correctly, just a matter of waiting for that vial of WLP002 to kick in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Hey! Moose Drool for the win!

I love that stuff, it's on tap at a $hitty bar I go to and it's great.

Congrats on what sounds like a very successful brew, I felt the same way when I made my first Mr. Beer brew (compared to your feelings about the cooper's brew). I heated up the can, added the booster, then cooled and pitched the yeast while scratching my head thinking "there has got to be a little bit more to it than this"...

Old 08-31-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My first batch was with Festabrew ready made wort. There wasn't even any heating involved. Open the bag, watch the wort cascade into the bucket, slosh around and pitch.

My second batch was an AG. You can do it Taypo, you just have to invest in a 5$ nylon bag. You already have the kettle and everything !

Old 08-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This was an extract + grain recipe that we steeped and loved it, so I see partial mashes and all grain in the future but we're taking it slow and making sure our processes and sanitation are sound before bumping it up a notch. Trying to make sure we can make a consistent product before adding steps, as I brewed years ago and could never make the same beer twice.
Right now its the WLP002 that we used giving me a little stress, I know that fermentation can take a while to start but 12+ hours with no action is making me worry a little bit. Probably because we didnt use a starter, though

Primary: Innkeeper
Secondary: Dawson's Kriek, Wee Heavy
Bottled: Spiced Holiday Ale,
Drinking: Moose Drool Clone, Irish Red, Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter, Milk Stout, NB Innkeeper Kit (West Yorkshire), NB Mild Ale (West Yorkshire), American Wheat
Planning: Irish Red, Patersbier,

Old 08-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
jfr1111
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taypo View Post
This was an extract + grain recipe that we steeped and loved it, so I see partial mashes and all grain in the future but we're taking it slow and making sure our processes and sanitation are sound before bumping it up a notch. Trying to make sure we can make a consistent product before adding steps, as I brewed years ago and could never make the same beer twice.
Right now its the WLP002 that we used giving me a little stress, I know that fermentation can take a while to start but 12+ hours with no action is making me worry a little bit. Probably because we didnt use a starter, though
No need to worry. Lag times of 12 hours or more aren't something to be concerned with. The pouch inflated ? You pitched at the correct temperature ? The manufacture date wasn't when Clinton was in office ? Everything will be cool.

A starter is certainly recommended and can help with faster starts, but it is not required for most gravity ales.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr1111 View Post
No need to worry. Lag times of 12 hours or more aren't something to be concerned with. The pouch inflated ? You pitched at the correct temperature ? The manufacture date wasn't when Clinton was in office ? Everything will be cool.

A starter is certainly recommended and can help with faster starts, but it is not required for most gravity ales.
It wasnt a smack pack, just the White Labs vial, with a best by date for next month. Pitched a bit warm (76) but nothing serious. I'm sure its fine, just first time using liquid yeast jitters.

Drinking: Moose Drool Clone, Irish Red, Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter, Milk Stout, NB Innkeeper Kit (West Yorkshire), NB Mild Ale (West Yorkshire), American Wheat

Old 08-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
jfr1111
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taypo View Post
It wasnt a smack pack, just the White Labs vial, with a best by date for next month. Pitched a bit warm (76) but nothing serious. I'm sure its fine, just first time using liquid yeast jitters.
Be also aware that lag times vary by yeast strains.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There is apparently some fairly minor airlock action at home, so sounds like we're in business. Thanks for the reassurance.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2113 Times on 1850 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

God luck on the brew. But you could do the same thing with cooper's cans. I do,with great success. The cooper's Original Series cans are great for this,as they have bittering only. Add 3-4lbs of plain DME,& the right hop schedule/amounts,& you've got many different styles of ale on your hands. I think it's easy,& certainly more involving for you as the brewmeister. Plus it's just plain fun. A voyage of discovery,if you will.
This makes me think I need to do a video on this very subject next. I see/hear so much negativity about cooper's. In my day,if something didn't work right the 1st time out,you made it work. You tweaked it till it did. This is what makes champions. And good beer that gets the gold...

Old 08-31-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not taking anything away from the Coopers cans, they're popular for a reason and it was a great first step. The batch we brewed from it is happily aging away, and the bottles we've tried have been very drinkable. I'm just a more hands on kind of guy, and branching away from them seemed like the right thing for me.

Quick Reply