Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First pour on day 10 post bottling, slightly sweet, and flat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
NavyMarine1978
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 15

Default First pour on day 10 post bottling, slightly sweet, and flat

I opened up my first Irish Stout Pub Draught on the 10th day after bottling. The bottle gave bit of a hiss when popping the top but found the first pour to be a bit flat. The beer tastes right and has alcohol but seemed to have a slight sweetness about it. It tastes like bitters that I have had in the past and very much like a cask beer. Since this is my first batch and first experience with this beer, I have nothing to compare to. I was also uncertain as to the sweetness being related to the hops that I used or the bottling sugar. Can bottling sugar be tasted if not totally used up by the remaining yeasts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 706 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 419

Only ten days after bottling? How long did you let the beer ferment for? Likely your beer is green and will improve dramatically if you give it a couple more weeks. Go buy some local micros and give your beer a chance to age!

Old 01-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Three weeks at 70 is typical to carb.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
pyth
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Sweetness is probly sugar used at bottling the yeast hasn't eaten yet, little carb is also likely due to the yeast not having had a chance to eat the sugar yet. Give them at least another 10-15 days.

Also-- Hello to a fellow Haligonian

Old 01-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

Did you refrigerate it? Give it another four or five days at room temp, then a week in the fridge. A neat trick I learned on this forum is to bottle the last one in a plastic soda bottle, then you can feel how hard it gets over time.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:35 AM   #6
TapeDeck
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelipen
Did you refrigerate it? Give it another four or five days at room temp, then a week in the fridge. A neat trick I learned on this forum is to bottle the last one in a plastic soda bottle, then you can feel how hard it gets over time.
Great idea!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
NavyMarine1978
Recipes 

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am glad to hear that people agree that the beer seems green. If it did not taste right, I would not have assumed it to be green but, bad. It does taste like it should only a touch sweet and flat like a cask beer. I may just go and buy some PET bottles to have on hand for the next batch.

Thanks,

Old 01-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
NavyMarine1978
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18 View Post
Only ten days after bottling? How long did you let the beer ferment for? Likely your beer is green and will improve dramatically if you give it a couple more weeks. Go buy some local micros and give your beer a chance to age!
The beer fermented for 2 weeks, was bottled and the first pour happened on day 10 after bottling. How much difference does a day make, a week make, a month make make when carbonating and aging? The bottles are currently sitting in a dark closet at a temp range of 18-19 degrees celcius.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
ronclark
Constant Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have moved to bottling everything for at least three weeks prior to opening any. This gives ample time to carbonate and the conditioning also helps the flavor. I know it sucks at times, but I can always buy a cheap six pack or two if I need beer and don't want to wait.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
NavyMarine1978
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmartin000 View Post
Three weeks at 70 is typical to carb.
My beer sits in a dark closet ranging in temp between 18-19 degrees celcius. It is the most stable temp in my appartment. This will change the speed of the carbonating/aging correct?

Quick Reply