Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First post! Serving beer at a party... Line size and length?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
BuckshotBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First post! Serving beer at a party... Line size and length?

First post!

A little background! I've been brewing beer for about 3 years, I'm about 25 5gal batches into my homebrew career. Ive always bottled my beer, and out of 25 batches only had to dump batch (neighbor was left incharge of fermentation, and my yeast never did grow... It tasted like dirty medicine porter) that's a little about me!

Ok, I just kegged 2 batches for a party, one is a porter and one is a pale. I'm not sure how to figure line size and pressure. I failed on the math formula earlier, and am not sure if I should split the diff on the pressure...

I bought 2 perlick perl faucets, 2-3" shanks, 2 90* 3/16 tail pieces, 2- 5' sections of 3/16 line.

My faucets will be 3' taller then the center of the kegs.

Also the only way to cool the beer is to keep it on ice, will this be an issue?

As far as gas goes, I have a 5# tank, a single stage reg, red co2 line, a 4way manifold with 2 outlet valves and 2 check valves.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
frydogbrews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 46 Posts

i usually try to use about 8 feet of line from teh keg to the faucet just to make sure i don't get excessive foaming. 5 should probably work.
how much time do you have to get these up to pressure? will you be able to slowly force carb them, or are you going to have to do the shake up thing? (i hate shaking good beer)

Old 08-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
BuckshotBrewing
Recipes 

I kegged yesterday, I added some priming sugar, and the kegs are sitting at 65*f

The party is in a month

I can let them force carb also, what pressure should I set the reg to?

Old 08-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
apratsunrthd
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckshotBrewing View Post
I can let them force carb also, what pressure should I set the reg to?
Use this chart: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

For 'general purpose force carbing,' I set mine between 10 and 12 psi at 40degF.

EDIT: NEXT time use that chart. If you added priming sugar, you don't need to force carb.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
Nugent
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Good call using 3/16" hose. 1/4" will foam too much. Didn't believe it until I experienced it.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
apratsunrthd
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
Good call using 3/16" hose. 1/4" will foam too much. Didn't believe it until I experienced it.
In my experience, 1/4# is generally only needed for LONG runs.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2450 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

Smaller is better.

For a party, I would not sweat it too much. Once the line is cold, it should be ok as long as the pressure is close to equal.

If you have primed, then just follow the chart and you've only got a head start. It will be fine. Sounds like fun! I am totally wishing more of my friends liked good beer.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

I just served 5 corny kegs at a wedding......not the first time by a long shot. My system....force carb warm at 30 psi, no shake three to four days...till it tastes right. About one week before transporting jump transfer to a clean keg, taking off the first pint or two with most of the yeast. MAKE SURE to cool the kegs to serving temp or not more than 45 F before trying to jump or you will get LOTS of foam. Drop CO2 to 12 psi and cool if possible then transport. If you then have a couple days to let the kegs sit before serving that is best. Put the kegs on ice not less than 4 hours before serving. I take off about a half pint before serving to pick up any more settled yeast and deliver with picnic taps 5 ft of 3/8 line at 5 psi and never have a bit of trouble. That is just my system not the only way I am sure. Can give more detail if you need it.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2450 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhabit View Post
I just served 5 corny kegs at a wedding......not the first time by a long shot. My system....force carb warm at 30 psi, no shake three to four days...till it tastes right. About one week before transporting jump transfer to a clean keg, taking off the first pint or two with most of the yeast. MAKE SURE to cool the kegs to serving temp or not more than 45 F before trying to jump or you will get LOTS of foam. Drop CO2 to 12 psi and cool if possible then transport. If you then have a couple days to let the kegs sit before serving that is best. Put the kegs on ice not less than 4 hours before serving. I take off about a half pint before serving to pick up any more settled yeast and deliver with picnic taps 5 ft of 3/8 line at 5 psi and never have a bit of trouble. That is just my system not the only way I am sure. Can give more detail if you need it.
That sounds like a good plan. It's best to get the sediment out before moving the kegs around, so you get just good clean beer. Otherwise they will cloud up like crazy.

Also, when you jump the kegs, do you purge with CO2, then pressurize them both before starting the transfer? I think you would eliminate any foaming by using the pressure relief valve on the accepting keg to keep the pressure at just about the same as what the beer was carbed at.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #10
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

General rule of thumb on serving line length IIRC is 1' of 3/16" line per 2psi serving pressure. 5-6' of line is good for most serving.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Quick Reply